lost playlists after cancelling subscription to Apple Music, found them back, wondering how to avoid this in the future

I cancelled my Apple Music subscription and all my playlists vanished. I needed to save some money for a little while. Hard times.

I don't remember receiving a warning from Apple that this would happen. I find it hard to forgive. My lists were full of songs carefully curated over the years for different days and moods.

All my devices were hit : iPhone iOS 16, all gone. MacBook Air Ventura, all gone. iMac Monterey, just had the names of the playlists, with zero, one or two songs left in them.

I read in another discussion here that there was a very short timeframe during which the data would still be online. So I resubscribed, within about 30 hours, and I found my playlists back. *huge sigh of relief* Many eternal thanks to Picas, the member who wrote this information. And btw, thank you to all users who share wisdom here.

I will at least make new screenshots of my playlists before I have to cancel again, so I can rebuild them in the future.

But I was curious.

1) Did anyone manage to access erased playlists, or emptied playlists, looking for old music library files, using Time Machine, while disconnecting iCloud syncing ?

2) Also, do you have suggestions to export the lists of songs into text ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 3:26 PM

Instead of screenshots you could print to pdf. Select a playlist > Command P > Song List > Print > pdf.

2 replies

lost playlists after cancelling subscription to Apple Music, found them back, wondering how to avoid this in the future

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.