Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable Monitor for iPad

I'm getting older and my sight is not getting any better (best the docs can do now). I have an iPad (9th Generation) and an iPad Air (5th Generation). I use them for playing gigs with my band to display the music for songs I'm learning. I need a 15.6 inch portable monitor (fits into my K&M holder) to make the music tabs bigger for me to see during a performance. I want to mirror the iPad to the full screen of the monitor to help me see. I bought an MNN M156F01 but I couldn't do a full screen on it, just mirrored the iPad. Anyone with any suggestions?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 4:59 PM

Mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor will, by design, preserve the iPad screen aspect ratio (i.e., width/height). Your iPad has screen aspect ~4:3 screen aspect ratio - while your portable monitor has a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio.

Put another way - when Mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor, expect to see black bars to infill where the iPad screen doesn’t match the monitor screen - whereas 16:9 video content will fill the screen of most 16:9 monitors.

One caveat, some monitors have settings that attempt to “stretch” the display content to match the aspect ratio of the display. This feature, if present, can introduce distortion (e.g., “people” develop strange proportions - such as short and wide).

As you have an iPad Air5, assuming that you have updated to iPadOS 16.4.1, you also have access to Stage Manager. This mode does not mirror the iPad display, but instead uses the external monitor as an independent screen - at the full native resolution.

Turn Stage Manager on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

I hope this explanation and clarification is helpful to you.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 4:59 PM in response to RescueCavalier

Mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor will, by design, preserve the iPad screen aspect ratio (i.e., width/height). Your iPad has screen aspect ~4:3 screen aspect ratio - while your portable monitor has a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio.

Put another way - when Mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor, expect to see black bars to infill where the iPad screen doesn’t match the monitor screen - whereas 16:9 video content will fill the screen of most 16:9 monitors.

One caveat, some monitors have settings that attempt to “stretch” the display content to match the aspect ratio of the display. This feature, if present, can introduce distortion (e.g., “people” develop strange proportions - such as short and wide).

As you have an iPad Air5, assuming that you have updated to iPadOS 16.4.1, you also have access to Stage Manager. This mode does not mirror the iPad display, but instead uses the external monitor as an independent screen - at the full native resolution.

Turn Stage Manager on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

I hope this explanation and clarification is helpful to you.

Portable Monitor for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.