Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Problem with Wi-Fi after iOS 16 update

Dear representative,

Prior to the update everything was working fine with ios15, now after update to ios16 I started having problems with the WI-FI 5ghz. As I understood this problem appears on all devices including iPhone SE 3rd, 13 and 14. The problem is in Wi-Fi channels. Wi-Fi works totally fine with channels 35-48, however channel 149 and up iPhone SE 3rd doest detect my Wi-Fi network.

Seems like devices that updated to latest update of iOS seems to have this problem. Resetting the devices, resetting network settings, resetting the phones doesn’t help.

iPhone SE

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 5:01 PM

11 replies

Apr 13, 2023 10:58 PM in response to Ser1oGA

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2023 10:58 PM in response to Ser1oGA

Many users who have updated to iOS 16 and above must have a similar issue if the issues stated by you are due to the iOS.

Unless you state what the issue is many in this forum may not be able to respond positively to the issue you are facing. 

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

May 7, 2023 5:36 PM in response to SravanKrA

I am facing same issue with my iPhone 8+. After updating the phone, I can't toggle on the wifi and Bluetooth is also not working. I have run every possible diagnosis like, resetting, erase phone then install OS again but still it is not working. If I can be able to toggle on the wifi button from the wifi settings, may be wifi will be connected. But it is not allowing me to toggle one. And Bluetooth settings even worse. No toggle button is showing, it is showing it is rotating meaning working

Apr 15, 2023 10:03 AM in response to SravanKrA

I also checked on the iPhone 11 ProMax, iPad Pro 3rd on these devices there is no such problem with WiFi in iOS 16, they see all the WiFi channels of the router at 5Ghz from 35-165 see the WiFi network, I also checked on the iPhone 12 there is no such problem in iOS 16 ,

I checked on my iPhone SE 3rd device, this is a WiFi problem when you change channels to 149 and higher in a 5Ghz WiFi router. Why do not many people encounter this WiFi problem? Basically, most routers have automatic channel selection from 35-165, so only the users that set channel 149 and above can see the problem in iOS 16, I checked on other iPhone 13,14 they also have this problem with WiFi, the problem is in iOS 16 firmware.

Apr 15, 2023 10:10 AM in response to Ser1oGA

The real reason most people don’t have a problem is it is a problem with your phone or your router. You should not be setting a channel; your router is smart enough to find the best channel, and it may change channels frequently to avoid interference. And if your router is too old to have this feature you should consider replacing it.

Apr 16, 2023 4:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

And what about those devices for which you can’t change the channel there, by default the device’s channel is 149, I have a Multimedia Pioneer zf9350bt that works with CarPlay via WiFi and it has a main channel of 149, I can’t connect to it on an iPhone because there is no Wi-Fi network, I checked that it works with android phones without a problem and sees channel 149.

What can do I do to make those devices work with my iPhone?

Problem with Wi-Fi after iOS 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.