Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 maximum capacity battery percentage dropping almost every 2 weeks? Is this normal?

I purchased my iPhone 13 in October 2021 and I lost my first battery percentage in October 2022. It dropped to 97% which I had expected as the phone was a year old. However, I have noticed since then, my phone's maximum battery capacity percentage is dropping quickly and at this rate my iPhone will not even be 2 years old before the maximum battery capacity will be 80%. This is the point where Apple recommends you replace the battery on your phone. I just wanted to know is this normal?

Here is a summary of my phone percentage dropping.

11 February - dropped from 96% to 95%

15 March - dropped to 93%

21 March - dropped to 92%

31 March - dropped to 91% - updated phone to IOS 16.4

13 April - dropped to 90%

Last month I updated my IOS in the hope that it would resolve the issue but the maximum capacity percentage is still dropping.

In terms of usage, I use my phone maximum 6 hours a day and the two apps I mainly use are Instagram and Safari. The only apps that I have downloaded on my phone are Instagram and a banking app.

I still have more than 72GB left on my phone (128GB capacity).

I only use the Apple charger to charge my phone and I try not to charge my phone to more than 85% because when I restart my phone, the battery percentage jumps to 93%. I read that its the amount of charging cycles that reduces your battery and since February I have only been charging my phone when it drops to 15% and try and leave 2 days between charges.

I would appreciate it if anyone had any advice on how to prevent further battery percentage decline because I do not want to have to replace my iPhone after less than 2 years.

Many thanks.

iPhone 13

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 4:43 AM

Hello,

Hmm, depending on usage that is not abnormal. See this:

See this link by Lawrence Finch for some battery charging tips:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Note: a battery replacement when the health falls below 80% is pretty simple: iPhone Battery Service

Good luck.

5 replies

Apr 14, 2023 7:23 AM in response to LS_13

Battery Health decline is NOT linear and given you've owned your iPhone for 17 months a 10% decline in Battery over that many months is better than average. On average (again knowing decline is not linear) a drop of 1-2% per month is normal, depending on how many full cycle battery charges you've been through.

Here's another link about Maximizing Battery Performance from Apple --> Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Bottom line is your phone is doing what is expected and it would be good to stop worrying about its battery health.

iPhone 13 maximum capacity battery percentage dropping almost every 2 weeks? Is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.