convert text iMessage

In iMessage, if I highlight text ---> right click ---> & scroll down to "Services", the options "Convert Text to Simplified Chinese" and "Convert Text to Traditional Chinese" are available.

I have no idea why chinese is the option that comes up, but am wondering if there is a way to change this to allow me to convert text to a different language of my choice.

Is there?

Why is it defaulted to what it is?

Thank you for any assistance.

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 9:36 AM

FWIW, if you select Messages > Services > Services Settings… > Text, you can disable the Chinese conversions but you can't set a different language. Apparently the Chinese settings are a special case that requires special handling.

13 replies

Apr 14, 2023 9:57 AM in response to VikingOSX

Right - my question wasn't about translating though as much as about how to "convert text" to another language. For some reason there is an option to translate to chinese. I do not understand why this option defaults to chinese and/or why there is *apparently based on dialabrain's answer* no other language option to convert text.

Apr 14, 2023 9:59 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you - your first comment about conversion is really what I was trying to figure out. I know how to translate, but was perplexed as to why there is a convert text to chinese option while, why it would default to chinese, and why there do not seem to be any other convert language options. It seems very strange to me.

Apr 14, 2023 10:08 AM in response to 883Max

883Max wrote:

perplexed as to why there is a convert text to chinese option while, why it would default to chinese, and why there do not seem to be any other convert language options. It seems very strange to me.

It would not seem strange if you knew Chinese. Convert text has nothing to do with translating between languages. It is a special service which Apple provides so that Chinese writers can switch between two forms of their writing (simplified and traditional) which are used in different areas (simplified for the mainland, traditional for Hong Kong and Taiwan). No other language needs this kind of conversion.

Apr 14, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I gotcha. I just did not understand exactly how "convert text" as an option differed from using translate and "Copy Translation"... And if an option to simply "convert text" (vs. going through translate and "Copy Translation") existed (which it does), why other languages would not be available/why chinese would be the default. Thank you all for the assist! I suppose you are right in that I did not grasp the "special service" concept vs. translate. I think I understand what you are explaining better now.

convert text iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.