Close, minimize, and maximize buttons do not appear in Full Screen mode.

The close, minimize, and maximize buttons don't show up in Full Screen mode. Normally, pushing the cursor to the top left corner makes the buttons show up, but in certain apps, they simply don't. This happens for most Apple apps (Safari, Calendar, Weather, etc.) and some third-party apps such as ZOOM and Messenger (but not in others such as PowerPoint, Excel, etc.). I have tried starting in safe mode, and it does not solve the issue. Is this just a bug with the current version of MacOS or something? I have a MacBook Pro 16, M1 Pro.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 8:44 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 14, 2023 9:36 AM in response to Ericthechocolat

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jul 17, 2023 8:47 AM in response to bzabbia

bzabbia wrote:

Yes I'm also experiencing this issue since updating my computer to an MacBook pro m1 pro and updating to latest version of Ventura 13.4.1
I just press escape to exit full screen mode but it also bothers me that I can't make the minimise, close buttons appear the top left hand corner but putting the cursor up around there. Hopefully this is a bug that can be fixed soon.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added to the system via Feedback - macOS - Apple.  

Apr 14, 2023 8:56 AM in response to Old Toad

That's the issue, for apps like Safari, News, Mail, the buttons don't appear when I do push the cursor over to the top left (Screenshot wouldn't capture my cursor, otherwise you'd be able to see that it's hovering near the apple logo). Whereas they do appear with apps like Powerpoint and Word. I typically do just use keyboard shortcuts to exit out of windows, but I just noticed how the buttons are no longer there, and now it kind of bothers me.

Jul 16, 2023 8:54 PM in response to Ericthechocolat

Yes I'm also experiencing this issue since updating my computer to an MacBook pro m1 pro and updating to latest version of Ventura 13.4.1

I just press escape to exit full screen mode but it also bothers me that I can't make the minimise, close buttons appear the top left hand corner but putting the cursor up around there. Hopefully this is a bug that can be fixed soon.

Jul 17, 2023 9:10 AM in response to Ericthechocolat

There is another thread with a similar experience, so you are not the only one; but what you are experiencing is not normal behavior. I have tested this in both Intel and Apple Silicon macs running 13.4.1 and they all behave as they always have. I was going to suggest Safe Mode as a test, but I see that you already tried that. Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

Close, minimize, and maximize buttons do not appear in Full Screen mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.