Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus popup

How to get rid of a persistent virus popup. I have run antivirus; safe mode; etc. Macs don't get viruses, right? Let's see if this post is deleted.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 5:46 PM

Please check: Safari > Settings > Websites > Notifications, as shown in the screenshot below.

Remove all sites that have been permitted to send notifications.

9 replies

Apr 15, 2023 5:55 PM in response to pkmusic

I've run Malwarebytes twice and then deleted it. The first time I ran it, it detected PUP.systweak. This is why I deleted Photos Duplicator Pro. Etrecheck finds nothing of consequence except these 90 Safari notifications. I can simply wipe the drive - but I'm quite concerned for any other users out there suffering from this. I can post the EtreCheck report but I can't see anything in it that is problematic. Should I raise this with Apple? File a report?

Apr 14, 2023 7:38 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks. I had already deleted it after the scan. I have never run AV, in my history of 30+ Macs. I do often install Malwarebytes on PCs and then delete it after it finds the virus, so I tried that on this Mac. RE Post delete: ummm . . because I said that I consider Ventura to be less than what I expect from a Mac? Bots. Is there a program that can actually locate this thing? I've looked in all the usual locations; and can't see it in Activity Monitor either. It comes and goes in a flash. Very annoying. Might have been Duplicate Photos Cleaner Pro? I have deleted that too. Really persistent. Looked in Safari but it appears without Safari running.

Apr 15, 2023 6:12 PM in response to stedman1

That's the fix. I had to run Etrecheck again to see if they had stopped. Thank you so much. I hope your response spreads, because I searched a long time on this. I recently helped a friend with their red-flagged (blacklisted) website and thought that on a Mac I was OK. I wonder if Apple might patch this. I'm pretty certain I would have refused any request for notifications. So perhaps there are sites which can bypass this now. Thanks again. Saved me a lot of work because I was ready to wipe the drive. Very grateful.

Virus popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.