Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Backgrounds in menu buttons

recently l have been scrolling in settings turning on/off some of the features and then discovered that in some apps the background in bottom menu buttons appeared, and i can’t find the setting that causes this thing. so where to find this setting and turn it off

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 6:47 AM

Hello hoinokui,

I may have another solution.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Text display and size > Color filters, activate "Color Filters" then select "Red/Green Filter" and finally disable "Color Filters". The problem seems to come from "Grayscale"; if you disable "Color Filters" with this choice of grayscale, the buttons remain highlighted.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 6:47 AM in response to hoinokui

Hello hoinokui,

I may have another solution.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Text display and size > Color filters, activate "Color Filters" then select "Red/Green Filter" and finally disable "Color Filters". The problem seems to come from "Grayscale"; if you disable "Color Filters" with this choice of grayscale, the buttons remain highlighted.

Apr 16, 2023 6:41 PM in response to hoinokui

Hello hoinokui,

We would like to see how we can help you with the app menu buttons. Which iOS 16 version are you currently running? Go to Settings > General > About for the version. If you restart the iPhone with the steps in this link, does the issue return: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

"How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right

2.Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3.To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo."

Get back to us with these details so that we have a better understanding of the issue, and we can go from there.

Cheers!

Apr 18, 2023 1:55 PM in response to hoinokui

Hello hoinokui,

I'm not sure what you mean by button behavior but if you do mean the background color in which they are rendered, the setting I mentioned should do the trick.

Your screenshot highlights the Search button on the App Store app. On my iPhone, here are the results:

• Button Shapes: Enabled (it looks similar to your screenshot):

• Button Shapes: Disabled:

Apr 18, 2023 3:13 PM in response to hoinokui

Hello hoinokui,

My English is no better than yours. I can understand you without any "Lost In Translation" issues (I hope you liked the movie...).

I did your test on my iPhone using the Files app in the Downloads Folder. I'm sorry to say that I'm getting the same result as for the App Store app.

Button Shapes: Enabled

Button Shapes: Disabled

Try to turn off the Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > "Button Shapes" and restart your iPhone.

One thing to thing about: I'm using the Clear Mode on my iPhone, not the Dark Mode as you do. Would that make a difference?

The last resort at this point would be for you to upgrade iOS on your iPhone: Settings > General > Software Update.

Apr 18, 2023 3:47 PM in response to 6x6

oh, i know the movie and added it in watch later list some time ago, and i think ”lost in translation” will be the next in watching queue this weekend )

dark/clear modes switching and the force restart (volume +/- and side button) don’t make any difference

and, as my ios version is the latest, i will wait until the next update, which maybe will fix the issue (i definitely won’t try reset, restore or whatever for this minor bug)

but anyway thanks for assistance and have a nice day!

Backgrounds in menu buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.