What is the best way to replace the battery of my MacBook Pro 13 retina?

I need to replace my battery in a Mac Book Pro13 Retina. is it best to take to an Apple store or buy on line and replace myself ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 4:19 PM

I would strongly recommend the Apple Store route if possible. Buying online from non-approved sources brings the risk of counterfeit batteries, and with DIY work on unfamiliar repairs there is always the risk it could go badly wrong including the risk your MacBook may be damaged.

5 replies

Apr 15, 2023 6:45 PM in response to robertfrompekin

robertfrompekin Said:

"What is the best way to replace the battery of my MacBook Pro 13 retina?: I need to replace my battery in a Mac Book Pro13 Retina. is it best to take to an Apple store or buy on line and replace myself ?"

-------

Based on Personal Experience:

Using Mail-In Service: My Mac's battery went dead 5 times. I send it in for service every time. This was during the days of COVID, when no local Apple Stores were open. See my user tip: Send-In Service - Include Handwritten Notes with the Packaging - Apple Support

Apr 15, 2023 6:27 PM in response to robertfrompekin

Apple stopped selling replacement batteries to consumers as service parts in about 2009.

No aftermarket batteries have the performance or longevity of the Apple batteries you cannot buy.

Your battery is glued in place and the solvents required to free it are hazardous and flammable and cannot be used in a retail setting without violating numerous OSHA, HAZMAT, and fire codes. The mere act of removing the old battery can cause irreparable damage to other components if not expertly done.

Have Apple do it. If you are in the US, consider a mail-in/ship-in service instead of taking to an Apple store

Apr 16, 2023 9:42 AM in response to robertfrompekin

With those, definitely go Apple if you can. They generally do it as a complete replacement of the top case since the batteries are often glued into the case. So they’ll swap out the existing top case. Condition may also matter because they’ll be looking at whether or not your current top case can be reused, might need new parts, etc. There’s a battery replacement price or a top case replacement price.

What is the best way to replace the battery of my MacBook Pro 13 retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.