Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

USB, then and now

I have two very old laptops — a PowerBook G4 12” (early 2003) running Tiger 10.4.11 and a MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008) running Lion 10.7.5 — from which I'd like to save some files and then prepare both for e-recycling.

Would moving the files to a USB desktop hard drive be the simplest way to save them for posterity?

If so, would the USB on a new external drive be compatible with the USB on these old laptops? I think the PowerBook has two USB 1.1 ports. I haven't been able to find the specs for the MacBook.

All insights appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 10:39 PM

Both the PowerBook G4 and MacBook have USB 2.0 ports, so you can use a thumb drive or external hard drive for backup. Although most of the devices sold today are designed for the faster speeds of USB 3.x, they will have backward-compatibility for USB 2.0. After retrieving your personal files, you could reformat the hard drives with a security wipe to prevent someone from accessing them (even if deleted) at the facility that e-cycles the laptops. In terms of time, it would likely be faster if you removed the hard drives from the laptops and eliminated any future concerns about that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2023 10:39 PM in response to sfrench

Both the PowerBook G4 and MacBook have USB 2.0 ports, so you can use a thumb drive or external hard drive for backup. Although most of the devices sold today are designed for the faster speeds of USB 3.x, they will have backward-compatibility for USB 2.0. After retrieving your personal files, you could reformat the hard drives with a security wipe to prevent someone from accessing them (even if deleted) at the facility that e-cycles the laptops. In terms of time, it would likely be faster if you removed the hard drives from the laptops and eliminated any future concerns about that.

Apr 20, 2023 11:39 AM in response to sfrench

I’ve been wondering whether I could skip having to buy an external hard drive and could instead transfer files manually from each of my old laptops directly to my current MacBook Air (M1 2020).

But I wanted to check here before doing anything foolhardy.

I have a LENTION USB C Multiport Hub with 4K HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, SD/Micro SD Card Reader, 100W PD Compatible 2023-2016 MacBook Pro, New Mac Air, Other Type C Devices, Stable Driver Adapter (CB-C36B, Silver).

Could I use this multiport hub and a USB-to-USB cable to connect the old laptops with my current MBA?

Do these instructions (Transfer files between a Mac with Apple silicon and another Mac) seem suitable and sufficient? Or is there more I need to know?

Thanks.

USB, then and now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.