Carplay Freezing/Not working, Honda Accord 2017-9th Gen

Hello,

I have been experiencing issues with my apple CarPlay in my Honda Accord 2017 since Summer of 2021. While I am using Navigation apps such as Apple Maps or Google Maps the WHOLE screen freezes and glitches out the entire system. If just audio is used, there is no issues. I have replaced my Original apple lighting cable with a new one, Car's firmware is up to date, infotainment system is replaced. The problem still persist.

After a complete diagnostics, Honda advised there is no issue on their end, Apple needs to provide support on the problem. Please help in resolving the issue.

Thank you.

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 6:09 PM

Yep I have the exact same thing on my ‘16 accord. Worked perfectly fine until IOS 15 came around so its clearly an apple issue. I just with these so called “experts” would actually troubleshoot the problem instead of giving cookie cutter unhelpful answers.

Similar questions

18 replies

Jul 9, 2023 1:54 PM in response to AbhinavRampal

Have the same issue on my 2016 Accord EX-L. What can we do about it? Should we ask Honda to do a recall? Class action?

I tried clicking on the menu buttons to the left of the screen and it sometimes work. Still not perfect but I get it back 40-50 % of the time. Sometimes it reboots the whole console screen system. Really screwed up situation which I need resolved!

Jul 10, 2023 1:34 PM in response to farrisWheel

Currently it is not reliable. Using new iPhone 14pro with latest software and CarPlay consistently freezes when streaming music and using Apple Maps for navigation. Happens every time. System locks and screen freezes and audio will not play over car system. If you unplug the phone, the GPS is till working, but that kinda(does) defeat the purpose of CarPlay.

Dec 29, 2023 4:07 PM in response to AbhinavRampal

By the looks of this post the one consistent thing is that these are Honda vehicles (in relation to this apparent continuous issue dating back to those using iOS 15). That seems to point to the issue being more so one that is tied to the Honda software and its ability to interact with CarPlay (or whoever provides their head units and software/firmware). For those of you with iPhones that can be updated to iOS 17 but have been having this issue well before iOS 17….if even the most recent iOS update hasn’t helped despite Honda claiming the issue isn’t on their end (something most brands always claim even when it’s not true) it really seems like the issue is absolutely at minimum in part due to something on Honda’s end. One way to put that theory to rest is trying to gain access to a non-Honda vehicle with CarPlay, connect to it and see if the same issue exists. If you can’t replicate the issue then it’s time for Honda to do more (perhaps release a firmware update for their head unit if they haven’t done so in awhile or at all). Because a lot of cars now include CarPlay as a standard feature it would hopefully be easy to have access to a friend or family members car to try this out. Or if you have some free time and don’t mind trying it pick a day to “test drive” a non-Honda car from a dealership and give it a try. Just a thought. Worst case scenario you find that the issue continues.

Dec 29, 2023 3:49 PM in response to AbhinavRampal

I have this same issue (2017 Accord) and Apple Carplay works anywhere from 5-25 min before crashing. This happened on both my iPhone 7 and 12. Dealer told me it was an apple issue.

However I found this post claiming it is an overheating issue with the unit due to poor application of a thermal pad.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/possible-root-cause-for-2016-2017-accord-carplay-issues.560444/

I am not sure if it will work, but I am going to take this info to the dealer to see if they will work on it. I'll even bring the extra thermal pad for them. Fingers crossed

Aug 24, 2023 9:58 AM in response to AbhinavRampal

I have the same problem Carplay problem with a 2017 Hybrid Accord, averages a freeze or blank screen every 25 miles or so. I think it is a Honda problem, not Apple. I use the same iphone and cable when I travel and rent cars in other cities. I have never had this problem with any other car. I don't remember all the models but they included Nissans and Chevys. And I definitely drove enough rental car miles to bring out the problem if it was in the phone.

Jul 26, 2023 6:32 AM in response to AbhinavRampal

AbhinavRampal wrote:

Hello,

I have been experiencing issues with my apple CarPlay in my Honda Accord 2017 since Summer of 2021. While I am using Navigation apps such as Apple Maps or Google Maps the WHOLE screen freezes and glitches out the entire system. If just audio is used, there is no issues. I have replaced my Original apple lighting cable with a new one, Car's firmware is up to date, infotainment system is replaced. The problem still persist.

After a complete diagnostics, Honda advised there is no issue on their end, Apple needs to provide support on the problem. Please help in resolving the issue.

Thank you.

I've not experienced that particular problem but I have had others (2019 RAV4). IMHO the problem is that the car companies are good at building cars, but lousy at writing software. It's a two way dance Apple/Car Manufacturer and neither talks to the other very well.

Carplay Freezing/Not working, Honda Accord 2017-9th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.