iCloud photo GB and iPhone photo GB are not matching up.

My iPhone says I have 86 GB of photos and videos. iCloud says I have 176.2 GB of photos and videos. How does that make sense? I only have one device (this iPhone) connected to iCloud.

I also deleted over 12,000 photos recently and not once did I get a notification that my iCloud storage was full before deleting these photos. Now that I have deleted all of those photos, I get this notification. Seems like a bunch of bull to me.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 8:35 PM

If you elected to optimize photos in iCloud sync, then the size will not align as smaller versions of your photos are kept on your phone with originals in the cloud.

To see your available space in iCloud, visit iCloud.com/settings.

4 replies

Apr 15, 2023 8:25 PM in response to Kimpossible2

Kimpossible2 Said:

"My iPhone says I have 86 GB of photos and videos. iCloud says I have 176.2 GB of photos and videos. How does that make sense? I only have one device (this iPhone) connected to iCloud."

-------

About Storage:

This 8 GB of files are only those stored locally on your iPhone. The 176.2 GB is of what is stored in iCloud. See here: Difference Between iCloud Backups and Backups you Make Using your Computer - Apple Support

Download your iCloud Drive:

Save a Few:You might want to consider downloading what you have in iCloud Drive to an external hard drive. In doing so, all would be backed up, and then you can trash what remains in it. And, in doing that, you'll have plenty of free space. Perform my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

iCloud photo GB and iPhone photo GB are not matching up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.