Apple TV overwhelms all processing on launch. Autoplaying trailers freeze everything up like it's 2004.

The first several minutes after launch Apple TV stalls and stutters. It's barely usable. All other apps and basic system functions stutter and have delayed responses too.

When I can finally navigate to a program's detail page, everything works smoothly again, including other apps and basic system functions. Playback of programs is fine. Systems only lock up when the app launches with its annoying blast of HD video streaming, and the issue stops as soon as I escape those promotional videos. I feel insane suggesting this because it's not 2004, but all signs point to the system being overwhelmed by processing playback for these trailers.

This has not always been a problem. It's been happening for several months though, maybe a year. It has persisted through multiple software updates. I am running the current app software and operating system. I can't find any user or system cache files that might need deletion.

My main question: How do I get those to stop loading? All else aside, they are incredibly annoying and ruin the user experience for at least some of us.

Second question: Is there a cache, app setting, or system preference that I haven't discovered?

Final question: I can't be the only person experiencing this. If you're having the same problem, can you share your experience? What steps have you taken to resolve it and did any help?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 8:05 AM

Thank you for that information. It doesn’t happen on my MBP though.

For macOS troubleshooting, try these:

Let us know the results of these tests. It should help find the cause.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 8:05 AM in response to docnerd

Thank you for that information. It doesn’t happen on my MBP though.

For macOS troubleshooting, try these:

Let us know the results of these tests. It should help find the cause.

Apr 16, 2023 5:03 AM in response to docnerd

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Are you referring to the experience in the TV app on your Mac, or on the Apple TV box, or some other device?

If on the Apple TV box, then which model?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

On the Apple TV box, you can prevent promotional videos from auto-playing.

Settings﹥Accessibility﹥Motion﹥Auto-Play Video Previews﹥Off

Apple TV overwhelms all processing on launch. Autoplaying trailers freeze everything up like it's 2004.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.