AirTag family sharing

We bought an AirTag today for our cat. What looked to be the perfect device turned out to be relatively useless because only one of family can actually look up the AirTag and find our cat.

Assumptions are the mother…. Assuming Apple would give people the opportunity to share AirTags with family for shared items, like a cat..

Does anybody know if Apple has this functionality on their roadmap somewhere?

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 1:07 PM

8 replies

Jan 13, 2024 11:09 AM in response to EvenGeduldAUB

I believe you have to enable Family Sharing for an AirTag to be shared on multiple devices before IOS 17. You'll also most likely have to add iCloud+ for more storage. Otherwise, others that are near your tag that you don't include in your Family Sharing will get the alert that they're being followed, and they can only pause it for 24 hours. After IOS 17 you can share the AirTags with up to 5 more devices. iPhone 15 or newer is required for precise location.

Aug 24, 2023 6:49 AM in response to EvenGeduldAUB

Does anybody know if Apple has this functionality on their roadmap somewhere?

read about upcoming features in iOS 17 (not yet released); go to this web site: iOS 17 Preview - Apple or this one iOS 17 makes iPhone more personal and intuitive - Apple

"Find My.

Share AirTag or Find My network accessories with up to five other people. Everyone in the group can use Precision Finding and play a sound to pinpoint the location of a shared AirTag when they’re nearby."

AirTag family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.