Why is iMovie cropping 16:9 images even though they are clearly 16:9 ratio

In making a few movies over the last two years, I've noticed photos taken on iPhone XR or better (most recently iPhone 13 Pro) in the 16:9 format get cropped when imported into iMovie to 4:3 ratio.

Why is this happening?

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 9:36 AM

UPDATE AND SOLUTION: I believe I figured this out.

As it turns out, the images were being taken in LIVE mode. When importing an image, no matter the ratio, iMovie for some dumb reason, forces these pictures into a 4:3 ratio.

However, when I turn off the LIVE mode via Apple Photos and then import the image, the image shows its full 16:9 image.

Moving forward I'll likely either turn off LIVE when taking the pictures or in bulk change them before starting my next iMovie.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 9:36 AM in response to dwn2mrz

UPDATE AND SOLUTION: I believe I figured this out.

As it turns out, the images were being taken in LIVE mode. When importing an image, no matter the ratio, iMovie for some dumb reason, forces these pictures into a 4:3 ratio.

However, when I turn off the LIVE mode via Apple Photos and then import the image, the image shows its full 16:9 image.

Moving forward I'll likely either turn off LIVE when taking the pictures or in bulk change them before starting my next iMovie.

Why is iMovie cropping 16:9 images even though they are clearly 16:9 ratio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.