Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forcing iMovie to keep frame size

I record a movie from my iPhone 6 using QuickTime player and it comes up with frame size (movie dimensions) 750x1334 (portrait).

When I import it to iMovie and save the clip using Share/File, the frame size becomes 1280x720 (landscape). I tried reopenning it in iMovie and crop, however the size remains 1280x720.

It there a way for iMovie to use the size of the imported clip?

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 10:48 PM

iMovie 10 has a fixed 16:9 screen ratio. When you import a portrait mode video into iMovie it will display in portrait mode but will have black bars on each side to make it fit the 16:9 screen. You can rotate sideways the portrait video using the rotate rectangles that you see when you select the clip and click on the crop tool (the one that looks like intersecting angles) in the tool bar at the upper right of your iMovie screen. You can then share it to a file on your desktop, open it in QuicktimePlayer, and do an Edit/Rotate to make it vertical again. That should preserve the size.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2019 10:48 PM in response to pcyanide

iMovie 10 has a fixed 16:9 screen ratio. When you import a portrait mode video into iMovie it will display in portrait mode but will have black bars on each side to make it fit the 16:9 screen. You can rotate sideways the portrait video using the rotate rectangles that you see when you select the clip and click on the crop tool (the one that looks like intersecting angles) in the tool bar at the upper right of your iMovie screen. You can then share it to a file on your desktop, open it in QuicktimePlayer, and do an Edit/Rotate to make it vertical again. That should preserve the size.

-- Rich

Forcing iMovie to keep frame size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.