Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't get my native cropping after working with a file in iMovie

how to prevent iMovie from cropping my existing iPhone "vertical" video to 16:9?

I will explain. I do all my videos in vertical position, when i upload it from iPhone directly to Youtube - everything is working fine, no changes, no crops or frames.

But when i work with a same clip in iMovie my videos receive 16:9 and i can't change it back. When i upload such a file to Youtube, new video receive black frames , video becomes smaller no matter the position of iPhone.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Hi,

iMovie has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio that cannot be changed. When you import a vertical iPhone photo, and the crop setting is "Fit", it will display vertically but have black bars on each side to fill up the 16:9 screen. The video will become smaller.

Try selecting your vertical clip and clicking on the crop button in iMovie (the button that looks like intersecting angles in the tool bar at the upper right you the screen). When the crop controls appear, use the rotating squares to rotate the clip in the preview screen 90 degrees to fit the 16:9 screen with no bars or cropping. click on the blue reset button to apply the changes.

Export (share) the sideways clip to your desktop. Open it with Quicktime Player. In QT, do an Edit/Rotate left or right, and save. That should give you a full sized vertical display with no black bars. Drag the video into You Tube's upload window.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2019 12:22 PM in response to алексей269

Hi,

iMovie has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio that cannot be changed. When you import a vertical iPhone photo, and the crop setting is "Fit", it will display vertically but have black bars on each side to fill up the 16:9 screen. The video will become smaller.

Try selecting your vertical clip and clicking on the crop button in iMovie (the button that looks like intersecting angles in the tool bar at the upper right you the screen). When the crop controls appear, use the rotating squares to rotate the clip in the preview screen 90 degrees to fit the 16:9 screen with no bars or cropping. click on the blue reset button to apply the changes.

Export (share) the sideways clip to your desktop. Open it with Quicktime Player. In QT, do an Edit/Rotate left or right, and save. That should give you a full sized vertical display with no black bars. Drag the video into You Tube's upload window.

-- Rich

i can't get my native cropping after working with a file in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.