How do I upgrade from mac Catalina to mac Ventura?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 11:11 AM

That depends on your current Mac hardware and if it is on this list: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support . If it is, you can get the full Big Sur installer from: How to download macOS - Apple Support . I recommend using Safari for this purpose.

Before you consider upgrading the operating system, I recommend that you confirm that your printer/scanner vendor offers a compatible driver for macOS 11 (Big Sur), or that the printer/multi-function device is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint when networked. You may also need to verify that each of your third-party vendor applications are compatible with, or have updates for Big Sur.

Perform a last Time Machine backup on Catalina before your upgrade to Big Sur, and I recommend your first TM backup on Big Sur occur on a fresh APFS formatted drive instead of your Catalina backup drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 11:11 AM in response to quo1Cho

That depends on your current Mac hardware and if it is on this list: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support . If it is, you can get the full Big Sur installer from: How to download macOS - Apple Support . I recommend using Safari for this purpose.

Before you consider upgrading the operating system, I recommend that you confirm that your printer/scanner vendor offers a compatible driver for macOS 11 (Big Sur), or that the printer/multi-function device is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint when networked. You may also need to verify that each of your third-party vendor applications are compatible with, or have updates for Big Sur.

Perform a last Time Machine backup on Catalina before your upgrade to Big Sur, and I recommend your first TM backup on Big Sur occur on a fresh APFS formatted drive instead of your Catalina backup drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.