Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scanner driver not working with ventura

I'm running Ventura on my MacBook Pro. My Canon scanner c225 no longer works and I get an error message that says "cannot use driver" I uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 5:49 PM

15 replies

Apr 18, 2023 10:28 AM in response to portland girl

If you get to the point where Apple's Image Capture, or the available Canon drivers for this device are just not working and wasting your time, then note that the optional paid (free trial) VueScan Professional supports the CR-C225 document scanner without any Canon drivers. That gives you vendor independence.

I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010, which allows me to use a Canon abandoned flatbed scanner from that era on my M2 Mac mini pro using Ventura 13.3.1. In the interim years, I have never paid for a VueScan upgrade to maintain current software. In no manner does the VueScan vendor recognize nor compensate me in any way for mentioning their product here.

Jul 27, 2023 7:04 AM in response to portland girl

I have exactly the same problem with my Canon DR-C240, with Ventura running on a 2018 MacBook Pro.

Yes, Canon's site has a driver and says it's compatible, but the driver doesn't see the scanner, neither does Vuescan, and neither does the OS in System Settings, so I think it's a Mac OS problem, possibly limited to the hardware.

I've been in contact with Canon repeatedly via email and phone; on the phone I was directed from one number to another (in Brazil where I live), and then given an email; I emailed Canon Brazil and Canon Europe and got no reply.

My scanner is not old, I only bought it in 2021, and it worked perfectly on my 2011 MBP running Sierra.

The only solution I can see is to install Windows with Boot Camp - if the hardware is not recognising the scanner in the Mac OS then I don't see how using virtualisation would help. However I really would like to be able to use the scanner again - I don't have money to change it (and are relatively much more expensive in Brazil) and my old MBP is currently not working.

Sep 23, 2023 10:25 PM in response to portland girl

If your Mac has an M1 or M2 chip, the problem may be like I'am having on new M2 MacBook Air with R10 scanner that was working perfectly with my older Intel processor MacBook Pro using Ventura.

The issue appears to be that Canon has not produced a Driver compatible with M1/M2 chips.

In my case, the MacBook Air M2 running Ventura OS connects via USB to the R10 [verified by viewing OS system report], the CaptureOntouch app opens properly. However, when scan button is pressed ERROR Message comes on screen "cannot use driver". Contacted Canon Support tech who agreed laptop and software seemed to be running correctly but also states that the onboard R10 firmware has no M1/M2 compatible driver and an update has not been developed by Canon engineers to date. As a stand alone, software and drivers are in R10's Firmware.

scanner driver not working with ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.