remove ipad pro app from memory

To remove an app from memory on my older iPad I double-click the home button and slide the app off the screen. How do I remove an app from memory on my new iPad Pro (no home button)?

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 3:44 PM

Perhaps you’re looking to force-close one or more Apps?

You can switch between App Windows, or force-close Apps, from the App Switcher. To expose the App Switcher page, simply swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen to the centre - and pause - before lifting your finger. A full set of thumbnails for your open Apps will appear, with the most recently used Apps appearing to the right.

Tap on an App thumbnail to resume the App - or if the App needs to be closed, swipe the thumbnail off the top of the screen.

You need to be aware that forcing-closed an App is generally unnecessary. Force-closing and relaunching an App uses considerably more power than just resuming an inactive App when needed.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2023 3:44 PM in response to dferry23

Perhaps you’re looking to force-close one or more Apps?

You can switch between App Windows, or force-close Apps, from the App Switcher. To expose the App Switcher page, simply swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen to the centre - and pause - before lifting your finger. A full set of thumbnails for your open Apps will appear, with the most recently used Apps appearing to the right.

Tap on an App thumbnail to resume the App - or if the App needs to be closed, swipe the thumbnail off the top of the screen.

You need to be aware that forcing-closed an App is generally unnecessary. Force-closing and relaunching an App uses considerably more power than just resuming an inactive App when needed.

Apr 18, 2023 4:14 PM in response to dferry23

dferry23 wrote:
I don't want to delete the apps from the iPad, just current memory.

You mean to "close" an app? It's kind of tricky and I learned from trial and error. I start at the bottom, and then swipe up to the top. That brings up all open applications, and those can all be closed by swiping up to clear the running application.

Apple calls it the "App Switcher". They say it's more about swiping to the middle, but it works for me swiping to the middle or to the top.

Quit and reopen an app on iPad - Apple Support
Open the App Switcher - Apple Support

Open the App Switcher
Do any of the following:
* Swipe up from the bottom edge and pause in the center of the screen.
* Double-click the Home button (on an iPad with a Home button).
To see more apps, swipe right. To switch to another app, tap it. To close the App Switcher, tap the screen or press the Home button (on an iPad with a Home button).

Obviously text directions aren't as good as seeing it in action. Here's a demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhAR7BmoMM

remove ipad pro app from memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.