Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Air M2 - Unresponsive after sleep mode

Anytime the computer goes into energy saving or sleep mode, I have to press the power/fingerprint scan button to get the MacBook to come back on. When it comes back on, but the other keys and trackpad do nothing, not working. I reboot the computer, they work again until the next time it enters sleep mode.

• Just started happening after about 4-5 months ownership.
  • ran diagnostic and said no issues found
  • external mouse works

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2024 5:22 PM

Ive been having the same issue with my MacBook Air M2. If it automatically goes to sleep mode (or even the screensaver), the keyboard and trackpad “freezes” (the trackpad literally gets block, as if the MacBook was off). I have to long press the touchid button to turn it off. After a few seconds, restart it and works normally.

I read somewhere (Reddit I think?) that it’s totally software related and it makes sense since all of us seem to have this issue since around October of last year. In that post, they said that we should proceed as I explained above for M2s since the chipset automatically handles the sleep mode toggle… while on M1s, you are able to run some command (plugin in an external keyboard, of course)

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2024 5:22 PM in response to designgraphik

Ive been having the same issue with my MacBook Air M2. If it automatically goes to sleep mode (or even the screensaver), the keyboard and trackpad “freezes” (the trackpad literally gets block, as if the MacBook was off). I have to long press the touchid button to turn it off. After a few seconds, restart it and works normally.

I read somewhere (Reddit I think?) that it’s totally software related and it makes sense since all of us seem to have this issue since around October of last year. In that post, they said that we should proceed as I explained above for M2s since the chipset automatically handles the sleep mode toggle… while on M1s, you are able to run some command (plugin in an external keyboard, of course)

Jan 22, 2024 9:02 PM in response to designgraphik

I suggest starting your MacBook in Safe Mode. This will load only essential system software. If the issue still happens in Safe Mode, it's likely a deeper system problem, and you should contact Apple Support. However, if your MacBook works fine in Safe Mode, the problem is probably caused by software you've installed. You can then restart normally and check recently added apps or updates that might be causing the issue.

Feb 12, 2024 7:19 PM in response to designgraphik

This happens to me sometimes. When I try to wake my MBA M2, the display flashes and then goes black. The keyboard stays lit. I've always ended up restarting the machine to resolve. Tonight when it happened, I noticed that the machine had gone to sleep with the screen open. I closed the screen and waited to give the machine time to go back to sleep. When I opened the screen again, the display was working properly. This may explain the sporadic nature in my situation since I sometimes close it and sometime just put it aside without closing it. This was the first time I have been able to resolve the issue without a restart.

Jun 8, 2023 7:21 AM in response to RoherZeno

I do not know if this is a fix, but I tried this a few days ago. Take an air spray can, and blow out the keys, and around the area where siren connects to the laptop base.

I read somewhere that these have some type of sensor to detect when the laptop is open or close, and based on the problem I was having (of it working fine, but as soon as I would close the screen and reopen right away, the keyboard would not light backup and work), my guess is maybe something with the sensor to detect that was not right. But after doing the spray, for a few days now I have not had the issue.

Who knows, it might come back, but for right now this seems to have solved it for me.

Apr 14, 2024 8:20 PM in response to designgraphik

I encountered the same issue, my M2 MacBook Air becomes unresponsive randomly after entering sleep mode (black screen). Below is what I did seemed solved the issue:

1. Turned off the FileVault
  2. Reboot and login to the MacOS in safe mode
  3. Restart the MacBook, login in normal mode

It appears to me the issue is somehow related to the FileVault feature, not sure why but it worked for me. After turning off FileVault, I don't encounter the same issue again. Maybe worth a try for someone having the same issue.

Sep 23, 2023 1:11 PM in response to designgraphik

I have a similar issue, which may be of help. I found that one of my hot corners was putting the display to sleep, from which only a restart would wake it. I thought at first it was problem with my Magic Mouse, because it only happened after certain actions with the mouse/cursor, but the Mac seems to almost pre-empt the cursor heading for the corner. After switching that corner to null— indicated by a dash— all is well.

MacBook Air M2 - Unresponsive after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.