Media keys not controlling anything anymore after hardware reset on old Mac Pro

I had to do a hardware reset by turning my Mac off, unplugging, holding power button for 30 seconds, and plugging back in and starting. This fixed the problem I was having but now the media keys on my keyboard only open iTunes when they used to control the last played media. I used to be able to pause YouTube videos and control my music on Plex. I disabled the play/pause button automatically opening iTunes but now it just does nothing. Does anybody know how I can get the last used media functionality back?

Computer specs:

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 8:18 AM

What year model Mac and what macOS version is it running?

Have you tested using the Command + Media keys?

What keyboard are you using?

Perhaps your Modifier Keys were changed or disabled.

To check, go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys...

I use the above Modifier Key settings with a full size Logitech USB keyboard.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 8:18 AM in response to tangre79

What year model Mac and what macOS version is it running?

Have you tested using the Command + Media keys?

What keyboard are you using?

Perhaps your Modifier Keys were changed or disabled.

To check, go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys...

I use the above Modifier Key settings with a full size Logitech USB keyboard.

Apr 19, 2023 9:31 AM in response to tangre79

I'm more concerned that the Control, Option and Command modifier keys were some how changed and that is the problem.

With iTunes/Music open and on the menu, bar select Controls and look to see what key combinations are used to control the Tracks and Volume settings.

Then check the Controls for Plex and YouTube to make sure that you are using the correct modifier key for those as well.

Apr 19, 2023 11:14 AM in response to den.thed

I use the media control keys at the top of the Dell keyboard. The ones above the F keys. The Control, Option, and Command keys have not changed but shouldn't matter anyway because I don't use them to control the media. The volume scroller still work on the keyboard as does the mute button, but it seems the play/pause and forward/back keys somehow following this reset got married to Apple Music. When I would press any of them all that would happen is Apple Music would open, and the media controls only control that. I entered a command into the console to keep this from happening. If media is playing on Plex, a play icon at the top bar appears and when I click it it shows me that's what's currently playing and there are controls there but they still do not respond to them media keys.

Where is it that I check the controls for Plex and Youtube? I'm sorry I'm not normally an Apple user, this is just my work computer. My home computer is a PC.

Apr 19, 2023 8:40 AM in response to den.thed

It's from 2013 and running Monterey 12.5.1. I know that's old but it's my work computer and my workplace won't replace it as long as it still runs. I'm using a Dell keyboard much like this:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-business-multimedia-keyboard-kb522/apd/331-9653/pc-accessories

My keyboard function key setting is currently set to "fn Function"

The keys still work sort of but don't do what they used to do.

Media keys not controlling anything anymore after hardware reset on old Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.