Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Activation lock on offer up bought phone scammed!

Hello, so i bought an ,phone 5c from offer up it was a girl for my little brother who turned 7, I was going to setup the phone, when got to activating it, stopped me at a pagesaying activation lock etc. I called the number of the phone they weren't able to help me with this phone i payed 70 dollars for the phone because it came with a case and charger. Need help to unlock!

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 12:12 PM

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock ( Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support ) and Find My ( iCloud+ - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

If you do not know the required information, are not the signed-in owner, or do not have Apple accepted proof of purchase, get the owner of the account to remove the lock (the section: "If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad" in: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support ), or return the device for a refund, or recycle the device. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner is unknown and has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen, there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

Here are additional resources if you are the account owner, can find the previous device owner, or have an Apple accepted proof or purchase:

● Read this article to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

● Help with a lost Apple ID or password:

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID (this is likely an active email address or one used in the past), click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID password, click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

● Reset device if you can prove to Apple's satisfaction you are the owner:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer).

*Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 12:12 PM in response to shanelle183

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock ( Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support ) and Find My ( iCloud+ - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

If you do not know the required information, are not the signed-in owner, or do not have Apple accepted proof of purchase, get the owner of the account to remove the lock (the section: "If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad" in: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support ), or return the device for a refund, or recycle the device. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner is unknown and has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen, there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

Here are additional resources if you are the account owner, can find the previous device owner, or have an Apple accepted proof or purchase:

● Read this article to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

● Help with a lost Apple ID or password:

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID (this is likely an active email address or one used in the past), click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID password, click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

● Reset device if you can prove to Apple's satisfaction you are the owner:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer).

*Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Apr 19, 2023 12:12 PM in response to shanelle183

If you have bought 2nd hand iPhone, you must contact the seller (hopefully it is the previous owner), otherwise you have been scammed.

Each Apple device is linked/associated with an Apple ID of the person who did the setup.

Activation Lock prevents anyone who is not the owner from using this iPhone.

To unlock the Phone, you need the Apple ID and password of the previous owner, that were used during set up.

So you have to contact the previous owner.

The previous owner has to read -> this Apple article: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Then the previous owner has to remove the iPhone from his account, see this Apple article:

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

Then you can sign in with your own Apple ID.

See the following Apple articles:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How to remove Activation Lock -> How to remove Activation Lock – Apple Support (UK)

Read this before you buy a newer iPhone.

You can also contact Apple support for help, -> Get Support (apple.com)

You have to show proof of ownership of your product, provide all documentation showing your purchase of the device.

If you do not have additional proof of ownership, contact the reseller. They may be able to provide the original purchase document.

Once Apple receive your proof of ownership, Apple will further review your request and provide an update.

See also -> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device

Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device – Apple Support (UK)

Ask your money back if possible, perhaps you have bought a stolen iPhone.

Activation lock on offer up bought phone scammed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.