See which apps have background app refresh enabled?

I have the slider for background app refresh set to “off.” However, I have some apps that DO use that function, meaning I must have manually turned on background app refresh for those apps.

My question is: how do I see a list of just THOSE apps? (i.e., just the apps always refreshing in the background.) And I do NOT want to go through my apps one by one.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 2:12 PM

Hey, welcome to Apple Community Forums!

You can list all the apps using Background App Refresh by following the steps below:

Open the Settings App > General > Background App Refresh

From here you will see a complete list of all installed apps, and can choose to enable/disable Background App Refresh for each app, or globally.

Hope to have helped!

Raymond

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 2:12 PM in response to ChickenGrrl

Hey, welcome to Apple Community Forums!

You can list all the apps using Background App Refresh by following the steps below:

Open the Settings App > General > Background App Refresh

From here you will see a complete list of all installed apps, and can choose to enable/disable Background App Refresh for each app, or globally.

Hope to have helped!

Raymond

Apr 19, 2023 2:23 PM in response to itsRaymond

Welp, it does and doesn’t help ;-), because I think it’s a whole nother problem:

The toggle at the top is turned to “off.” But the list below seems to show Every. Single. App. on my phone.

However, I just went to Settings and checked some random apps’ individual settings, and each one I looked has “background app refresh” enabled but grayed out. Oof. So I think my issue is related but something else!

Apr 19, 2023 4:18 PM in response to ChickenGrrl

If you have the toggle at the top set to off, then it overrides the setting for all apps.

E.g. if you have the toggle off, all apps will not have Background App Refresh, even if the option is shown as enabled in the app's individual settings.

The setting is grayed out because in order to turn on Background App Refresh, you need to enable it globally.

The grayed out slider option does not directly mean Background App Refresh is enabled for that app, as you have it disabled globally.

Hope to have helped!

Raymond

See which apps have background app refresh enabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.