"Allow anyway" button doesn't work when installing something from an unidentified developer

I'm trying to install a plug-in for Adobe After Effects. It's from a trusted website and I've used this plug-in before in the past. The issue is when I go to Settings > Security, I can click on "Allow anyways". I've clicked this button about a hundred times. Sometimes I've gotten a pop-up to fill in my password, and after that it doesn't do anything. And usually nothing happens when I click the button.

Tried restarting my mac, reinstalling the plug-in, restarting After Effects, clicking the button a million times.

(Macbook pro 2020, Ventura 13.3)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 7:58 AM

Dennis_Z wrote:

I'm trying to install a plug-in for Adobe After Effects. It's from a trusted website and I've used this plug-in before in the past. The issue is when I go to Settings > Security, I can click on "Allow anyways". I've clicked this button about a hundred times. Sometimes I've gotten a pop-up to fill in my password, and after that it doesn't do anything. And usually nothing happens when I click the button.

Tried restarting my mac, reinstalling the plug-in, restarting After Effects, clicking the button a million times.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/eddbd6c4-bc25-41c6-b864-0f080eaaaf2b

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

I would verify Full Disk Access and see if that makes a difference if it is added in...

>System Settings>Privacy & Security>Full Disk Access

ref: Controlling app access to files in macOS

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Dennis_Z

Dennis_Z wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/eddbd6c4-bc25-41c6-b864-0f080eaaaf2b

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

I would verify Full Disk Access and see if that makes a difference if it is added in...

>System Settings>Privacy & Security>Full Disk Access

ref: Controlling app access to files in macOS

Apr 20, 2023 8:29 AM in response to Dennis_Z

How are you determining that the button doesn't work?

By that I mean, could it be possible that the button works fine, but the plugin in question is the part that simply doesn't work?

There is no such thing as a "trusted website". Nothing on the internet is trustworthy. That's why Apple introduced app signatures that have a higher level of security. Those app signatures have been required for many years. The fact that this software does not use them strongly suggests that it hasn't been updated in all those years. That also strongly suggests that it simply won't work on a modern version of macOS.

"Allow anyway" button doesn't work when installing something from an unidentified developer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.