MacBook Pro won't log in after updating to 13.3.1

After the update I couldn’t log in. I was successful once in safe mode. Took it to the Genius Bar and the diagnostic was fine. They wiped it and reloaded the OS 13.3.1. It started up and I uploaded my backup. I restarted and it happened all over again. Link to YouTube attached. So aggravating. Now what? It’s an M1 MacBook Pro that I can’t use.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 2:16 PM

You restored something that bricked the operating system. I am assuming you performed a full restore including all applications, etc. and that you restored from a Time Machine drive using Migration Assistant? There must be some software in your backup that is not compatible with macOS Ventura 13.3.1 that causes it to fail on boot.

With the M1 MacBook Pro turned off, hold the power button and keep holding it till you get to the startup options. Click on Options and Continue. and then boot into macOS Recovery mode. Select your disk and unlock it with your username and password. Open Disk Utility and select the 'Macintosh HD' internal disk. Erase the disk to APFS. Then re-install macOS Ventura. Skip over the macOS restore option and just install macOS Ventura. Boot up and you may have to check for Software Updates to ensure it's up-to-date with 13.3.1. Next, you can open Migration Assistant but DO NOT RESTORE EVERYTHING. Restore only your data and not your applications. Then manually install your software applications. Check online that each piece of software not installed from the App Store is actually compatible with 13.3.1. Some may have updated versions to install, etc.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 2:16 PM in response to donmilo

You restored something that bricked the operating system. I am assuming you performed a full restore including all applications, etc. and that you restored from a Time Machine drive using Migration Assistant? There must be some software in your backup that is not compatible with macOS Ventura 13.3.1 that causes it to fail on boot.

With the M1 MacBook Pro turned off, hold the power button and keep holding it till you get to the startup options. Click on Options and Continue. and then boot into macOS Recovery mode. Select your disk and unlock it with your username and password. Open Disk Utility and select the 'Macintosh HD' internal disk. Erase the disk to APFS. Then re-install macOS Ventura. Skip over the macOS restore option and just install macOS Ventura. Boot up and you may have to check for Software Updates to ensure it's up-to-date with 13.3.1. Next, you can open Migration Assistant but DO NOT RESTORE EVERYTHING. Restore only your data and not your applications. Then manually install your software applications. Check online that each piece of software not installed from the App Store is actually compatible with 13.3.1. Some may have updated versions to install, etc.

Oct 4, 2023 8:33 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks. when i pressed power button logo appeared and did not proceed after that. Screen was dark. I took it to Apple repair center and using their own methods, new OS was loaded. I was charged USD 30 for repair. No hardware problem in my 18 months old M1 pro. Reason given for not booting was "probably WIFI interruption" which is not convincing as my wifi was strong and had no interruption. Something strange for a 12 years Apple user. Apple should do something to avoid such software problems

MacBook Pro won't log in after updating to 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.