Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not logging in after installation of OS X El Capitan.

I have installed the update OS X EL Capitan, the installation went good, but when requested for restarting, I have restarted and then put the password for log in and it accepts the password, but does not log in. It shows some small data in the upper left corner of the screen stating: panic, Debugger ... System not set.... I need your help, what to do next?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 11:40 AM

Try this:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2019 11:40 AM in response to dardan241

Try this:

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.

Dec 9, 2019 12:12 PM in response to dardan241

Then you will have to try my original procedure that does not erase the drive. I'm concerned, though, that you may not succeed with it given that what you now have does not work as it should. You cannot repair an installed system that has failed as suggested by the kernel panic. Nevertheless, you can give it a try. The worse that can happen is it won't work.

If you need to recover your data because you don't have a backup and you cannot install macOS unless you erase the disk which will result in erasing your files, then you need to connect your computer to another Mac which has the same connection ports. Then you may be able to access your drive from another Mac that is connected to yours, by using Target Disk Mode. Also, see How to use target disk mode to move files between two Mac computers, How to use target disk mode to move files between two Mac computers and Using Target Disk Mode to install an operating system.

Dec 9, 2019 11:34 AM in response to dardan241

That is a kernel panic screen. It seems to have occurred because your computer is trying to start from an incomplete system as a result of shutting down during the installation. You need to perform the full installation process a bit differently. You cannot re-install over a defective installation. This time you will have to erase the disk. Here are the two basic procedures you can use. The first one requires a working Recovery HD. If you cannot boot from the Recovery HD, then you will need to perform a Network Recovery. That will the the second one.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch from Recovery HD

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (will be the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Dec 9, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Thanks a lot for your time answering my questions. The problem is that I have already started the installation process, and it is not completed yet. I can not log in, I restarted the Mac and it shows some data like I mentioned initially. I have attached a picture of the screen how it is looking like. I put the password correctly and as soon as it starts to log in, it shows these data and it requires to restart again.

Dec 8, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Thanks a lot for your help. I followed your instructions, but I am running on another issue. When it requires to select the disk where I want to install which is Macintosh HD, there is showing that additional space of around 975 MB is needed. I would like to cancel this installation process, and stay with the original version, can you help me out return where I was?

thank you

Dec 9, 2019 11:47 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

The only problem right now is that I do not know how to save my files, which I do not want to lose them. In this case, I can try the Internet Recovery, but first I need the files to be saved. If you know any option how to save the files in this case, that would be perfect. Or, I can cancel the installation at all if there is a way, just not to lose my files.

MacBook Pro not logging in after installation of OS X El Capitan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.