Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Protecting Security Information

I have received notifications (right hand corner of my laptop) that direct me to click to see more about an "Apple Security System: Hack ..." Should I click?

I have received notifications (right hand corner of my laptop) that direct me to click to see more about an "Apple Security System: Hack ..." Should I click? And, there appear to be prior notifications under this one, I presume, on related subjects. What to do?

PS I was able to expand the notifications (without clicking on any) and see things that tell me these are not legit. E.g., telling me to renew my "antivirus subscribtion" (misspelling original).

These notifications have been flooding in since yesterday .... how to stop them?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 6:22 AM

As you suspect those Notifications are scams. Clicking them leads to opening a webpage that serves as bait for a subsequent phishing attempt.

That relegates those Notifications to a mere annoyance. To get rid of them, simply go to Safari's Settings or Preferences and disable them: Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Follow the instructions under "Stop receiving notifications from a website" and "Stop seeing requests for permission to send you notifications in Safari."

The following Discussion describes it in greater detail: phoney notifications - Apple Community. The reason anyone would invite that kind of harassment eludes me.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 6:22 AM in response to LaurelH

As you suspect those Notifications are scams. Clicking them leads to opening a webpage that serves as bait for a subsequent phishing attempt.

That relegates those Notifications to a mere annoyance. To get rid of them, simply go to Safari's Settings or Preferences and disable them: Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Follow the instructions under "Stop receiving notifications from a website" and "Stop seeing requests for permission to send you notifications in Safari."

The following Discussion describes it in greater detail: phoney notifications - Apple Community. The reason anyone would invite that kind of harassment eludes me.

I have received notifications (right hand corner of my laptop) that direct me to click to see more about an "Apple Security System: Hack ..." Should I click?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.