I'm receiving notifications on my iMac that I need to update anti virus software. Is it a scam?

My friend got hacked on facebook, after clicking his link, I am receiving tons of notifications that I need to update anti virus software, or buy more. What do I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 6:31 AM

4 replies

Jul 18, 2023 6:58 AM in response to srmason60

As info, A bit more info on why a user does NOT need virus protection for macOS, if you are curious.

Read: Effective defenses against malware and other threats

For future reference... although Malwarebytes and EtreCheck are often recommended, neither are available in the App Store.

You can get them here…

https://www.malwarebytes.com

https://etrecheck.com/

Jul 18, 2023 7:56 AM in response to srmason60

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popup… - Apple Community

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support (CA)

PS = Friend was Hacked

They would have had to have given Physical and Direct Access to the Computer to the Hacker

Then, they would have had to have Given the Admin Password to the Hacker in order from the Hackers to do their Ditty Work

Jul 18, 2023 8:27 AM in response to srmason60

Go to Safari Settings, Websites, Notifications. Remove or deny any listed there. I'm not sure why anyone would want a notification from any website, but I would imagine any requests from a website to provide notifications are coming from some rogue javascript ad on the website, not the site itself.

You can also add them to system Notifications. Open Notification System Settings and look for any odd "apps" in the list. Remove them. If the notification has an icon, you may be able to match it to a rogue "app" in that list.

Finally, it is always a scam.

I'm receiving notifications on my iMac that I need to update anti virus software. Is it a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.