Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Airplay 2

According to this article from March 2023 on the What HiFi website(see below), using Airplay 2 will change the music file in Apple music from lossless to lossy. Apple was said to be working to fix the problem. Has this been fixed yet?

As we have noted in our lossless audio explainer, the AirPlay 2 protocol supports lossless music (audio up to 24-bit/48kHz, in fact) so those with music files stored on their iOS device can send it over AirPlay to another device losslessly. However, the news isn't so good with regards to using AirPlay 2 to send lossless Apple Music streams. Apple Music’s Lossless streams supposedly convert from ALAC (Apple’s lossless codec) into AAC (Apple’s lossy codec) at a pretty lowly 256kbps when transmitted over AirPlay – and therefore not losslessly. 

In other words, yes, AirPlay 2 does support lossless audio, but perhaps not for the use case you might want it to.

Apple is apparently working on an update to enable lossless over AirPlay (we are reaching out to Apple to confirm), so fingers crossed that this transpires and thus Apple’s lossless offering becomes validated.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 1:06 PM

Looks like Apple is now streaming Apple Music at CD quality (pcm/44100/16/ ) over airplay. Below is a test I did using a number of Apple devices to a Blusound Node 2i streamer. I used http://myplayer.blue/ to check the bit rate on the streams going to the Node 2i. I used the Stones Hackney Diamonds album for the source, 24 Bit for Qobuz and Apple Hi res for Apple Music. Bluetooth was AAC as expected.

Device Source Stream mode bit rate Source quality

IphoneIOS 17.1.2. Qobuz Airplay pcm/44100/16/ Hi-Res 24 Bit 96 kHz

IphoneIOS 17.1.2 Qobuz Bluetooth AAC

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Qobuz Airplay pcm/44100/16/

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Qobuz Bluetooth AAC

MacBook Air Sonoma 14.1.1 Qobuz Airplay pcm/44100/16/

MacBook AirSonoma 14.1.1 Qobuz Bluetooth AAC

IphoneIOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/ Hi Res Lossless (Apple)

IphoneIOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Bluetooth AAC

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Bluetooth AAC

MacBook Air Sonoma 14.1.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/

MacBook AirSonoma 14.1.2 Apple Music Bluetooth AAC

Apple TVtvOS 17.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2023 1:06 PM in response to proacguy1

Looks like Apple is now streaming Apple Music at CD quality (pcm/44100/16/ ) over airplay. Below is a test I did using a number of Apple devices to a Blusound Node 2i streamer. I used http://myplayer.blue/ to check the bit rate on the streams going to the Node 2i. I used the Stones Hackney Diamonds album for the source, 24 Bit for Qobuz and Apple Hi res for Apple Music. Bluetooth was AAC as expected.

Device Source Stream mode bit rate Source quality

IphoneIOS 17.1.2. Qobuz Airplay pcm/44100/16/ Hi-Res 24 Bit 96 kHz

IphoneIOS 17.1.2 Qobuz Bluetooth AAC

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Qobuz Airplay pcm/44100/16/

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Qobuz Bluetooth AAC

MacBook Air Sonoma 14.1.1 Qobuz Airplay pcm/44100/16/

MacBook AirSonoma 14.1.1 Qobuz Bluetooth AAC

IphoneIOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/ Hi Res Lossless (Apple)

IphoneIOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Bluetooth AAC

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/

Ipad ProiPadOS 17.1.2 Apple Music Bluetooth AAC

MacBook Air Sonoma 14.1.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/

MacBook AirSonoma 14.1.2 Apple Music Bluetooth AAC

Apple TVtvOS 17.2 Apple Music Airplay pcm/44100/16/

Sep 25, 2023 10:46 AM in response to proacguy1

Was this finally addressed (or confirmed to be true?)

If my understanding is correct, the following is true? (the last one is the one I can't seem to get the correct info on)

Currently as of Sept 2023:

• If I stream Apple Music to my Denon via Airplay 2 - regardless of the info in the apple music app, I am only getting 256AAC
  • If I stream Apple Music to my Denon via an HDMI connected (and properly configured AppleTV) I am getting max of 24bit/48hz
  • If I stream Tidal App to my Denon via Airplay then I will get max of 24/48 (airplay 2 limit)
  • If I stream Tidal via HEOS app then it leverages the AVRs internet connection and I will get Tidal to 24/96 or 192

Thanks for the help!

Mar 19, 2024 3:10 PM in response to Ataraxy01

Thanks for your insight. You are correct that it is still lossy in some cases. Using Apple Music on MacOS (MacBook Air Sonoma 14.2.1 and using Airplay from the Music app it appears to send AAC 256kbps even though it still states the sample rate at 16/44.1. However if you setup Airplay at the MacOS level instead of in Apple Music it does appear to be bit perfect. I used bmon to monitor the Rx and Tx rates while playing the same lossless song through Apple Music ( see the graphs below). The Apple Music airplay transmits approx 30-35 % less data and/or packets than it receives. Using MacOS airplay there are approx. 20-30% more data and/or packets transmitted than received. The Rx and Tx were reset to 0 before each capture and the capture was only for the length of the songs each time. No other applications were running on the Mac other than minor background tasks. I did the test for a number of songs and they all had similar results.

/bmon capture when using Airplay in the Apple Music application.

/bmon capture when using Airplay at the MacOS level

I don't have any easy way to test data rates for IOS devices. I tried a few WiFi analyzers but they were not granular enough to see what was happening. My router doesn't provide throughput rates. I would guess that Apple Music on IOS devices is 256 AAC based on discussions elsewhere.

I did try Airplaying from my Mac to my HomePod to see what would happen but it just passed the playing of the music to the HomePod (ie the Rx and Tx on the Mac didn't increase once the song started on the HomePod )

The reason I was interested in this is that the Bluesound Node 2i does not stream Apple Music natively as it does Qobuz or Tidal. I wanted to move back to Apple Music by Airplaying from my HomePod (voice commands) to the Bluesound Node. As a result of this I will continue to use Apple Music, will just use my Mac when I want to do some serious listening. Hope that helps. If I have something incorrect or there are any other ideas I am all ears :)

On a side note, I am currently reading Steve Jobs biography so I get where a lot of this control and silence from Apple comes from!

Jun 5, 2023 9:48 PM in response to BruceWayne96

Hi,

nothing as yet. I don’t know why apple would frustrate its music service subscribers by not providing lossless or Dolby Atmos via iPhone, iPad and Mac over AirPlay. You can’t even play lossless via the Sonos app only Dolby Atmos. The only way you can listen to lossless is through the Apple TV.

I would send a request feature feedback here Feedback - Apple Music - Apple

Maybe they will sort this out.

Nov 4, 2023 4:18 PM in response to Sarge_72

Thanks for that clear explanation. Getting to the truth about Apple's lossless has been frustrating and disappointing. Especially the Airplay 2 dupe. Thankfully, I held on to my CD collection and CD player. I'm 70 and still listening to the generation of music I collected. With my $19. Apple wired EarPods and CarPlay, I'm hopefully covered until these issues get sorted out.

Jun 6, 2023 12:58 AM in response to Freakfish

That’s really frustrating. I loved the fact that they’re offering lossless quality music of my fav songs across the board for no additional cost. But what’s the point of actually offering it if you can’t make it work as easy and seamless as it should be, especially within your own ecosystem. They just announced a new VR experience but I still have to have most my devices wired in order to experience lossless music even tho AirPlay is capable of delivering that? C’mon…

that’s me not even getting into how pointless high res lossless actually is for the average consumer …

Sep 22, 2023 5:39 AM in response to alex_atanassov

Actually you’re able to output lossless music through AirPlay from your HomePod. And the recently updated AirPods Pro2 ( USB-C ) did come with a kinda hidden update in the code whereas you‘ll be able to output lossless music through them when they‘re connected to their Vision Pro. You should check out Marques Brownlees YT channel, he spoke about it in one of his recent videos.

I wonder if they also updated a couple more devices since their iPhone15 update finally received USB-C !

anyone with some new input especially about AirPlay?

Jan 10, 2024 8:02 AM in response to Rob_F1

Hi Rob - This is great news. Do you know if this is limited to your Blusound Node, or for any AirPlay2 enabled device? I am trying to hook-up some powered Triangle speakers to integrate into my Sonos world, and planning to use a WIIM mini and the optical output to stream Apple Music into the speakers… But don’t want to be streaming lossy AAC.

Any way to verify this has been fixed across the board?

Very encouraging, if this is the case!

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2024 5:52 AM in response to Rob_F1

This would be great news if it’s definitely the case. Do we know for sure that the bit rates etc. reported by myplayer are actually what’s being streamed and not just the stated bit rate of the original file?

Apple Music has always reported a file as being lossless even when external tests (reported by Darko amongst others) have verified the streams as being downgraded to AAC.

I couldn’t find anything in myplayer’s help to clarify this.

does anyone know if the Apple Music app on the Apple TV HD supports lossless? Apple only makes reference to the ATV 4k on its support page.

Feb 16, 2024 7:06 PM in response to proacguy1

Bluesound uses an exclusive mode for Airplay. So this is not an Apple fix for this problem.

I solved it by setting up an Airport Express v2 firmware back to Airplay 1. 16/44 for sure as any sending device has to match Airplay 1.

If I need multi speaker, I use Rogue Amoeba Airfoil from Mac, also exclusive and to all Airplay types at once.

So, I have same question for Apple, when will this be fixed? It is hurting business as many people get upset over it. Despite it being nearly impossible to tell AAC 256 from ALAC 16/44.

Airplay 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.