Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How to approve child's iPhone app store request using Android device?

We recently purchased my son an iPhone 13 for his birthday. I have an Android phone and had to create Apple ID to set up his phone and account (he is 10 years old). We do not have an Apple devices in our household and this is the first one.

How do I approve an app store request for my child using an Android device? Is there any way to forward the request to mail, or some web interface?

If this cannot be done, how do I turn off the "ask to buy" request? I don't see it as an option on his phone nor do I see it when I log into the AppleID or iCloud websites.

Thank you in advance for your help.

iPhone 13

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 12:12 PM

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

I originally created my Apple ID through icloud.com on my Android device and then continued in setting up my son's iPhone and account. Unfortunately, due to Apple's restrictions I cannot sign out of the phone at all. The other issue is that the web based Apple interfaces do not allow interaction with his device or ID/account. I will have to try again tonight to see if it let's me approve the app request in person.

I spent over an hour this morning with Apple support and they were of no help. But I have a call scheduled with a senior advisor for this evening to hopefully resolve this issue.

Assuming that I cannot "approve in person", the best I can figure is to either

1. change my son's birthday in AppleID to something over age 13,
  2. Factory reset the phone and create a new AppleID for him with an age over 13,
  3. Purchase ANOTHER Apple device to use as the parent/control device, or
  4. Return phone and get an Android device.

I think the big issue is that I created an adult AppleID via a web browser and not an actually device, which limited my ability to fully set up the family sharing aspects of the phone. The other issue is that there should have been a lot more information related to restrictions and access during setup. There was a base assumption during setup that another iPhone or iPad was present, which should have been my 1st clue that I was going to have problems.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 12:12 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

I originally created my Apple ID through icloud.com on my Android device and then continued in setting up my son's iPhone and account. Unfortunately, due to Apple's restrictions I cannot sign out of the phone at all. The other issue is that the web based Apple interfaces do not allow interaction with his device or ID/account. I will have to try again tonight to see if it let's me approve the app request in person.

I spent over an hour this morning with Apple support and they were of no help. But I have a call scheduled with a senior advisor for this evening to hopefully resolve this issue.

Assuming that I cannot "approve in person", the best I can figure is to either

1. change my son's birthday in AppleID to something over age 13,
  2. Factory reset the phone and create a new AppleID for him with an age over 13,
  3. Purchase ANOTHER Apple device to use as the parent/control device, or
  4. Return phone and get an Android device.

I think the big issue is that I created an adult AppleID via a web browser and not an actually device, which limited my ability to fully set up the family sharing aspects of the phone. The other issue is that there should have been a lot more information related to restrictions and access during setup. There was a base assumption during setup that another iPhone or iPad was present, which should have been my 1st clue that I was going to have problems.

Apr 20, 2023 8:20 AM in response to Android_Dad

"If you're a parent or guardian, use your own device to turn on or turn off Ask to Buy."

It doesn't say how to do this on another device or the child's device itself. It does mention using a Mac but unless you have access to one and you can set up a user account on it, I don't know that that helps.

You may at this stage wish to contact Apple to check if they have any suggestions. ATB is turned on by default on a child account. Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Apr 20, 2023 12:30 PM in response to Android_Dad

Apple's support as regards to Androids is pretty minimalist. They don't say why but some of it may have to do with anything regarding privacy or real security they may want to only act entirely under their own software and hardware. At some point Apple would have to be handing off tasks to Android and may not trust them that far. :-)

Click on this link for Apple products feedback links --> Product Feedback - Apple

Apple may not respond but your comment will be read.

Apr 20, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Android_Dad

Not ideal but you can always approve purchases in person on the child's device. [Sory about the messy presentation. It does that when I copy and paste from an Apple document with my browser.]

How children or teens can make a request with Ask to Buy

1. To buy or download an item, tap the price or Get button. Or if
  2. you're using an Apple Watch, double-click the side button, then enter
  3. your passcode.
  4. If asked, enter your Apple ID and password.
  5. Tap Ask. If your parent or guardian is nearby, you can tap "approve
  6. it in person" and they can approve the purchase directly from your
  7. device.

Apr 20, 2023 8:10 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you Limnos.

This is, unfortunately, very disappointing and very inconvenient. If I had known this, we would have never purchased an iPhone. But that is besides the point and is just my frustration with Apple.

There seems to be another problem - I do not see the "Ask to Buy" option as shown in the link provided when looking under my son's name. Is there another spot for it? Or did I mess up something on the initial phone set up? The phone is less than a week old.

Apr 20, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Mac or an iPad or any other device. At this time, it looks like I am taking a trip to an Apple store. The person I spoke with in Apple support on the phone was stumped by my question.

Thankfully, I have 30 days to return the phone to Verizon if I can't figure this out for him. I am absolutely floored that Apple has walled off their product to the point where they are alienating current and future customers. Why is this so hard for them to allow these requests to go out via email or to app on an android device.

Apr 20, 2023 8:50 AM in response to Limnos

Okay, new idea. Not that this would be fun, but you could do this on your child's device. It would entail you creating and Apple ID (if necessary - but you should already have one to get him set up in the first place) and logging into your child's device so you now have an Apple device with your account on it. You can then disable the feature which is set on his account (not the device itself). Then have him log back in.

How did you get your ID in the first place? Setting up Family Sharing for enabling a child account has to be done from Apple equipment originally. Can you use that resource?

Before doing this, let us know this is what you want to do because if it is not done correctly (and entails a lot more replies from me with time investment) then you can end up merging account data which may not be what eitehr of you wants to happen.

How to approve child's iPhone app store request using Android device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.