Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Album missing from Music Library

I purchased an album on the iTunes Store on Nov 25, 2020 (I can look it up in my purchase history) -- "Playing for Change," by Jack Sheldon.

It is no longer showing in my library, it is not in my list of Hidden albums, and when I search for it in the iTunes Store, it is not there. I can do a general search for it, see a listing for "Playing for Change by Jack Sheldon on Apple Music," but when I click on it... "this page doesn't exist."

What's up?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 11:27 PM

Hi,

When you purchase music from iTunes Store, you should download to your computer then make a backup. If you remove download and then stream your purchased music, you will only be able to stream whilst the music is still in the Apple Store. Most music will be available to re-download but if the music is no longer available, you will lose access to it.

See following links Redownload music – Apple Support (UK) and Hide and unhide music, films, TV programmes, audiobooks and books – Apple Support (UK)

Jim

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 11:27 PM in response to Sewell1911

Hi,

When you purchase music from iTunes Store, you should download to your computer then make a backup. If you remove download and then stream your purchased music, you will only be able to stream whilst the music is still in the Apple Store. Most music will be available to re-download but if the music is no longer available, you will lose access to it.

See following links Redownload music – Apple Support (UK) and Hide and unhide music, films, TV programmes, audiobooks and books – Apple Support (UK)

Jim

Apr 20, 2023 1:39 PM in response to Sewell1911

I am not sure if I have the same problem or not. This reads about the same as my problem though. What do you mean by your list of Hidden albums? Is that something you made or is that an Apple Music feature?

I was about to ask a similar question here. I was listening to a podcast last night and heard a tune that I thought was great. Went to Apple Music to buy it and it turns out that I already have it - in an album of 59 songs (from 2011) that I also have, but the album appears nowhere in Music. The album tracks appear when I search for that one song in Music and all have been dowloaded - but that album seems "hidden." It's a compilation of "various artists" sort of EP but nothing there.

Apr 20, 2023 3:11 PM in response to chuckefus

There are lots of threads on "missing" music that end up being classified as "hidden" on your iTunes/Music. I don't understand the reasoning behind the creation of that classification, and I don't understand how things come to acquire that classification. I have never wanted to "hide" any albums I have had or bought, but I have had to rescue a few from the list. It's easy to access and resolve.

This is something else. This appears (to me) to be a problem with iTunes.

Apr 20, 2023 4:15 PM in response to Sewell1911

Thanks - I just looked into how to look up "hidden music" and it indicates that there is none.

I know at some point I started noticing purchases that weren't there after OS updates but dropped the issue. But this is truly bizarre - I think you are correct, there is a real problem here. I made screenshots of the tracks from the search for the track I mentioned - so I can at least search for all the tracks. But not only is that inconvenient but I now wonder what else I have that is "hidden." I am not about to go through my long purchase history and check them all off.

Well, if I think of it later, I will submit a product feedback report. You might too - the more the merrier.

Apr 21, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

At least in my case, the music is still there. Played it last night. It’s just not visible in the “albums” section - I have to search for tracks. They are all downloaded. I admit that I had never backed up anything from iTunes manually but maybe Time Machine does that. Thanks for the links - will review later. I saw several in a previous search.

Apr 24, 2023 4:56 PM in response to Sewell1911

I read, many years ago, about purchased items disappearing this way. But mine is still in the store, available for purchase. I did download the whole thing at some point (I think there are 60 or 70 tracks) but it hasn't been "erased."

I have not tried the cmd+opt thing yet. I want to understand better what might happen. Law of unintended consequences and all that. [It just dawned on me that I need to check my other devices.]

Album missing from Music Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.