Will Migration Assistant also copy "orphaned" files?

I'm finally upgrading to a new M2 MacBook Pro from my now ancient 2012 MPB. I'd like to keep the new machine as trim and clean as possible.

When using Migration Assistant, will orphaned system files and applications be copied as well? I'd really prefer not to clutter up my hard drive with useless junk!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Tom

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 3:48 PM

...probably.

Migration Assistant is very conservative in the sense that if an item can be migrated, it will be migrated. In many cases, items it doesn't know what to do with will be segregated into a Relocated Items folder: If a Relocated Items folder appears on your Mac after upgrading macOS - Apple Support. In other cases, old, obsolete programs will be migrated but they will bear a "prohibitory symbol" meaning they can't be launched anyway.

The Relocated Items folder will have a PDF document explaining what to do with those items. Apps that can no longer be launched and processes that can no longer run (32-bit only apps for example) can just be dragged to the Trash.

Use Migration Assistant just the way it is. That's how Apple designed it and essentially how I have been doing things since the 1990s at least. If you need help or have questions regarding disposing of obsolete items by all means write back.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 3:48 PM in response to thomasfromkirkland

...probably.

Migration Assistant is very conservative in the sense that if an item can be migrated, it will be migrated. In many cases, items it doesn't know what to do with will be segregated into a Relocated Items folder: If a Relocated Items folder appears on your Mac after upgrading macOS - Apple Support. In other cases, old, obsolete programs will be migrated but they will bear a "prohibitory symbol" meaning they can't be launched anyway.

The Relocated Items folder will have a PDF document explaining what to do with those items. Apps that can no longer be launched and processes that can no longer run (32-bit only apps for example) can just be dragged to the Trash.

Use Migration Assistant just the way it is. That's how Apple designed it and essentially how I have been doing things since the 1990s at least. If you need help or have questions regarding disposing of obsolete items by all means write back.

Will Migration Assistant also copy "orphaned" files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.