You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erasing backup history

I've been getting this message every time I open my MacBook Air:

Time Machine detected that your backups on “Data” can not be reliably restored. Time Machine must erase your existing backup history and start a new backup to correct this.

"Data" is on my AirPort Time Capsule. Is there any danger in erasing the existing backup history and starting a new backup? I've been nervous about doing this.

Thanks; any advice will be appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 2:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 2:28 PM

This error message indicates that Time Machine has found that the existing backup set is corrupt ... and is offering to start a new backup set. This would delete that previous set.

Since this is a Time Capsule, one option prior to starting a new set, would be to verify the existing backup set's integrity. To do so, hold down the Option key, and then, select the Time Machine icon on the macOS menu bar. Then select the "Verify Backups" option to start it. If this process verifies a failed backup set, your only choice would be to start a new set.

Ref: Verify your backup disk on Mac - Apple Support

Although, a bit late at this point, if your data is critical to you, you shouldn't rely on only a single backup strategy. The following user tip article should prove helpful going forward:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2023 2:28 PM in response to cinbun

This error message indicates that Time Machine has found that the existing backup set is corrupt ... and is offering to start a new backup set. This would delete that previous set.

Since this is a Time Capsule, one option prior to starting a new set, would be to verify the existing backup set's integrity. To do so, hold down the Option key, and then, select the Time Machine icon on the macOS menu bar. Then select the "Verify Backups" option to start it. If this process verifies a failed backup set, your only choice would be to start a new set.

Ref: Verify your backup disk on Mac - Apple Support

Although, a bit late at this point, if your data is critical to you, you shouldn't rely on only a single backup strategy. The following user tip article should prove helpful going forward:

Apr 20, 2023 2:28 PM in response to cinbun

The only danger is if you have any files backed up on TM that you do not have on your working boot drive that you absolutely need. If not that's the best way to straighten out TM backup problems - erase and start over from scratch.

If you do have any files that you want to keep try entering TM and going to where they would be stored at a time when they would exist and try to restore them before erasing.

erasing backup history

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.