You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine back cannot restore data warning. Is this probably legitimate? or start of ransomware?

I'm getting a message that "Time Machine detected that my backups can not be reliably restored". It wants me to erase the backup history and start over. Can I trust that this is a legitimate problem and not a precursor to a ransomware attack? I have over 200 GB remaining on Time Machine. Have never needed to restore but it makes me nervous. Any thoughts?

2019 iMac running macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c) Time Machine is from 2015. I'm inclined to trust it but wanted to check with the community first.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 1:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 2:08 PM

Yes, this is a "normal" message you would get should the Time Machine backup set gets corrupted. This can happen for a number of reasons, but AFAIK, it doesn't happen due to ransomware.

Are these backups on an external drive or on a Time Capsule? Regardless, you will want to verify the backups integrity prior to having TM erase the backup.

How you do so will depend on where you TM backups are going to.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2023 2:08 PM in response to Karl38

Yes, this is a "normal" message you would get should the Time Machine backup set gets corrupted. This can happen for a number of reasons, but AFAIK, it doesn't happen due to ransomware.

Are these backups on an external drive or on a Time Capsule? Regardless, you will want to verify the backups integrity prior to having TM erase the backup.

How you do so will depend on where you TM backups are going to.

Aug 4, 2023 2:16 PM in response to Karl38

Old target hard disk? If so… I’d be inclined to start a second (new) external backup on a second (new) external hard disk drive, as a hard disk from 2015 may well be failing. Failing hard drives can start by getting slow, then start with corruptions. This also preserves what can be recovered from the current Time Machine archive, while creating a new backup on new storage.

To check the external hard disk failure data, you can use DriveDx: https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

The failure data is not entirely predictive and not entirely reliable too, as some latent hardware faults can be missed.

Feb 25, 2024 5:28 PM in response to the idiot

the idiot wrote:

i have the same issue however my computer gives me this error message but my wife's back-up, same time capsule, backs up fine. if i erase my back ups will it affect her back ups?

Yes, it will effect (erase) all backups on the storage, and if the target disk happens to be failing, the creeping corruptions will continue.

Time Machine back cannot restore data warning. Is this probably legitimate? or start of ransomware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.