iTunes won’t burn purchased songs to cd, saying they are Apple Music songs - reloaded

I found many topic about this problem. Here is one of them:

"i have purchased an album I would like to burn to a cd for my commute but it won’t, stating the songs are a part of Apple Music. I originally were listening to them via Apple Music but I purchased the album in hopes of burning a disc. Why won’t it let me burn them even though I have purchased the songs? My computer is authorized to use iTunes and I don’t have a problem with other songs I’ve purchased."

I am in the same situation. The suggested solution is to remove the already downloaded files, and download again. I did it and the "burn Playlist to disc" option is not available (grayed out at the File menu). The Get info says it is Purchased, but the re-downloaded files at the /Macintosh HD/Users/myusername/Music/Music/Media/Apple Music location. I have up to date macOS/music app.

It is annoying and pretty pointless for me to buy anything on the iTunes Store without this option.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2024 8:53 AM

Here is what you need to do with latest versions of apple music and Sonoma 14.4 -- this may change -- TT2 is on the right track but there are several steps. I only found this out after corrupting my original library and having to pull a new one back down from the cloud. This is if you are wanting to burn songs/playlists onto CD that you originally had been listening to through Apple Music/cloud. I hope this helps everyone, as there are several places you need to go to change settings before your re-download files and try and burn your disc.

Steps, to do in order

Purchase the songs > right click the songs> view in itunes store and purchase (right now you have to do this one by one)

Remove downloads for the songs in your playlist, right click on the 3 dots, remove download for the song or entire playlist

Make sure the songs are gone from your library -- not

downloaded, no other versions out there

Music>Settings>General>Uncheck download Dolby Atmos

Music>Settings>Playback>Uncheck Lossless under

Audio Quality

Dolby Atmos > OFF

Only now, download /redownload your purchased songs > they should now

burn onto CD (you can check the song file type in your music folder (which is hidden and you can unhide in Finder), must be the 256k AAC, not HLS or anything crazy like that.

If something is greyed out and won't burn, it is because the file type is wrong, check to make you did all these steps

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2024 8:53 AM in response to adammolnar

Here is what you need to do with latest versions of apple music and Sonoma 14.4 -- this may change -- TT2 is on the right track but there are several steps. I only found this out after corrupting my original library and having to pull a new one back down from the cloud. This is if you are wanting to burn songs/playlists onto CD that you originally had been listening to through Apple Music/cloud. I hope this helps everyone, as there are several places you need to go to change settings before your re-download files and try and burn your disc.

Steps, to do in order

Purchase the songs > right click the songs> view in itunes store and purchase (right now you have to do this one by one)

Remove downloads for the songs in your playlist, right click on the 3 dots, remove download for the song or entire playlist

Make sure the songs are gone from your library -- not

downloaded, no other versions out there

Music>Settings>General>Uncheck download Dolby Atmos

Music>Settings>Playback>Uncheck Lossless under

Audio Quality

Dolby Atmos > OFF

Only now, download /redownload your purchased songs > they should now

burn onto CD (you can check the song file type in your music folder (which is hidden and you can unhide in Finder), must be the 256k AAC, not HLS or anything crazy like that.

If something is greyed out and won't burn, it is because the file type is wrong, check to make you did all these steps

Apr 22, 2023 12:51 PM in response to adammolnar

I'd not considered it previously, but if you have an Apple Music subscription you could potentially have lossless downloads enabled. See About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support. If so then your purchases can stream and download in protected lossless format. Turning lossless downloads off and repeating the Remove Download > Download steps should get you standard 256K AAC copies.

Failing that I hope Official Apple Support are able to help you out.

tt2

Apr 21, 2023 4:36 AM in response to adammolnar

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support. There is an odd issue sometimes where new purchases are added to your library as hidden items. You might need to remove the Apple Music tracks from your library and then unhide your purchase so that you can download it, rather than Apple Music versions of the same songs.

tt2

Apr 22, 2023 12:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey TT2, thanks for the advice. I tried different combination of remove downloaded files and hide/unhide my purchase, but no luck. If I download again from the iTunes Store/Phurcased menu, it is generate again the subfolder under the Apple Music...sometimes put few song under my Music folder too but not the whole album.

The whole thing is so strange and unpredictedfor me. I think my music library or something in the Apple cloud is deeply broken. :-( Next step, I ask the Apple directly.

Thanks again!

iTunes won’t burn purchased songs to cd, saying they are Apple Music songs - reloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.