Syncing Emails Across Devices

How can I sync my emails on my IPhone and IPad so that when I delete them on one they will be simultaneously deleted on the other?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 8:01 AM

Are both your iPad and iPhone using IMAP mailboxes to access your email? If they are, then your email will remain fully synchronised via your Mail Provider’s Mail Server.

If instead one or other of your devices is instead using the much older POP3 protocol to access your email, then your devices may not remain synchronised as mail is received, read, deleted or moved to folders.

Check that your Mail Provider supports IMAP. If they do, the easiest method to ensure that both your iPad and iPhone are configured to use IMAP would be to delete the email account from the device, restart the device, then re-add the email account.

To delete the mail account from your iPad or iPhone:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your mail account] > Delete Account

Having deleted the account, a forced-restart is recommended:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After restarting, you can re-add the email account:

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 8:01 AM in response to Applesauce53

Are both your iPad and iPhone using IMAP mailboxes to access your email? If they are, then your email will remain fully synchronised via your Mail Provider’s Mail Server.

If instead one or other of your devices is instead using the much older POP3 protocol to access your email, then your devices may not remain synchronised as mail is received, read, deleted or moved to folders.

Check that your Mail Provider supports IMAP. If they do, the easiest method to ensure that both your iPad and iPhone are configured to use IMAP would be to delete the email account from the device, restart the device, then re-add the email account.

To delete the mail account from your iPad or iPhone:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your mail account] > Delete Account

Having deleted the account, a forced-restart is recommended:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After restarting, you can re-add the email account:

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 20, 2023 8:49 PM in response to Applesauce53

Applesauce53 Said:

"Syncing Emails Across Devices: How can I sync my emails on my IPhone and IPad so that when I delete them on one they will be simultaneously deleted on the other?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mail:

Use a New App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Sometimes, changes (i.e. updates) are made to the device, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended to fix). As an example, your go here for gmail: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

Syncing Emails Across Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.