Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Canon EOS R8-can't see uploaded pics in Mac photos

Just got a new Canon Eos R8 mirrorless camera. If I use the USB cord or a card reader to upload to my MacBook Pro with the most current version of Ventura, I cannot see the photos in Photos. They ARE imported and I can see the info about the picture but all I see is a grey box where the photo is loaded in the library. I am pretty sure this is an Apple issue and not a Canon issue as I can preview the photos prior to hitting import. I did manage to upload them wirelessly into a pictures folder but all my other cameras would just have immediately imported the pics into Photos. I can't figure out what to do to rectify this issue.

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 11:36 AM

According to this list:

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support

Raw support for the R8 has not been added as of this time.

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 26, 2023 5:58 PM in response to rsb816

Did you ever figure out a way to get this to work? I have the same camera and am having the same issues. The work around I am currently using is to import them into Luminar Neo and then I can transfer them to the photo app where they then will display normally. I tried the same work around in Affinity photo and instead of the gray box, I get an off colored image.

Apr 26, 2023 6:13 PM in response to joshrocker

Same! I have to upload to Luminar pictures folder and then slowly upload them to Luminar to edit then transfer them to apple photos which I like to use to catalogue. ugh. so tedious. I haven't even figured out how to use a USB to get the photos into the computer because if I use a hardwire they automatically go into Apple photos. The wifi is so slow and eats up the whole camera battery. I def think it's an Apple issue because I get the message that the file is too big to open in photos even tho I can see all the EXIF data in the info section. I just see a grey box but I know the pic is somewhere in the cloud. Haven't figured out the solution yet. This is my first full frame mirrorless camera so still learning. If you ever figure it out...please let me know.

Apr 27, 2023 2:57 PM in response to rsb816

The weird thing for me was I got the camera and took some photos that night without formatting the memory card. My mac (2019 16” MBP) was able to read and display the images with no issue. The next day I formatted the card in camera and that’s when I started having these issues. Until there is an update that fixes this issue, I’ll probably shoot jpeg and raw. I’ll use jpegs for awhile and hold onto the raw files for any image that I really like for editing, but for simplicity, I’ll use the jpegs for most of my images (I’m not shooting anything professionally and mostly shoot family stuff, so the loss of using mostly jpegs won’t be that big of a deal to me in the short term).

Apr 27, 2023 4:53 PM in response to joshrocker

I formatted the card right away. But the pics are somewhere in the cloud because the info button in Apple photos has all the data there. I have the exact same MBP, 2019. The last answer was probably it. For now I will jump through a few hoops until it gets rectified. I edit in Luminar so will just upload to there for now. I just like to organize my pics in photos. Once I edit and crop they go on my desktop and then into photos. That is the only way I know how to upload to social media and emails so I guess I'm going to work with it for now. I need to figure out how to do it without the wifi because that is soooooo slow!.

Thanks for you kind answers and help!

Jul 5, 2023 10:44 AM in response to aditya_goyal11

aditya_goyal11, YES! It works now on my Mac. There was an update a little bit ago that fixed the issue. I’m still seeing some weird issues between IOS and Mac when trying to share the pictures. I tried to send my wife a couple of unedited raw photos and she couldn’t see them on her iphone. There were also some issues with previews on my IPad from files. However, opening the photos on my Mac and then editing them (I use Luminar Neo or Affinity Photo) will then allow me to share them freely (with a couple of issues with a photo or 2 not displaying properly).

Canon EOS R8-can't see uploaded pics in Mac photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.