Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

HDMI port for Apple TV 4K 2022

Can I attach Apple tv 4K 2022 to HDMI 4 of my sony A80K tv?

BRAVIA4KVH21,

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 5:06 AM

A80K (2022) should have 4 HDMI ports on the back; 2× HDMI 2.0, 2× HDMI 2.1. All of them compatible with Apple TV (any model).

As Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) has an HDMI 2.1 port, you would get the most out of it when connecting to an HDMI 2.1 port on the other side of the cable.

• If you have an external audio system with HDMI, then connect that to HDMI-3 (eARC).
  • If you have connected devices with HDMI 2.1 ports, then connect your favorite/​most demanding one to HDMI-4. unless you have a modern AV receiver (HDMI 2.1 out), then I would advise to connect all HDMI devices through that.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 5:06 AM in response to rajnikant210

A80K (2022) should have 4 HDMI ports on the back; 2× HDMI 2.0, 2× HDMI 2.1. All of them compatible with Apple TV (any model).

As Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) has an HDMI 2.1 port, you would get the most out of it when connecting to an HDMI 2.1 port on the other side of the cable.

• If you have an external audio system with HDMI, then connect that to HDMI-3 (eARC).
  • If you have connected devices with HDMI 2.1 ports, then connect your favorite/​most demanding one to HDMI-4. unless you have a modern AV receiver (HDMI 2.1 out), then I would advise to connect all HDMI devices through that.

Apr 24, 2023 8:37 AM in response to rajnikant210

Sounds like you've got a nice setup. Since it's working fine and you're basically geeking out to determine what's 'optimal', I'll chime in.

For the sake of consistent Dolby Atmos performance, and given the ATV4K's habit of processing Dolby Atmos streams and sending (uncompressed) Dolby MAT data out via HDMI, the conventional wisdom is to connect the ATV4K directly to the Atmos-capable sound system using an HDMI 2.1 cable.

Since you have a higher end Sony TV with HDMI 2.1 and eARC, your current config will probably continue to work perfectly fine. That said, don't be surprised if certain movies, with really beefy multichannel Atmos soundtracks, cause your Sony's eARC to hiccup and experience occassional audio dropouts.

If it were me, I would run only the one HDMI 2.1 cable from your soundbar's HDMI out to your TV's eARC port, then connect the Sat box and the ATV4K directly to your soundbar's HDMI inputs. It sorta comes down to cable management... I like my TV on a swivel-capable wall mount with only the well-hidden power and HDMI cable running to it.

The following 'connection diagram' is from a nice write-up on Dolby Atmos by Nakamichi (link below).

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/the-ultimate-dolby-atmos-guide

Apr 24, 2023 2:02 AM in response to Urquhart1244

My current setup is as below:

TV: Sony A80k OLED 65”

HDMI 1: Connected to Satellite TV set box

HDMI 2: Connected to Amazon Fire Stick

HDMI 3 (eARC): Connected to Samsung HW Q990B 11.4.1 Dolby Atmos sound-bar

HDMI 4: Connected to Apple TV 4K 2022

I am not using Blu-ray device or gaming devices.

so far I have no issue with the current setup. I am here to seek expert advice whether my Apple TV 4K 2022 is in right HDMI port!

Thanks.

HDMI port for Apple TV 4K 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.