Resetting an old iPod and iPod shuffle to factory settings

I was just given a couple of older iPods from a friend of a friend who no longer wants them.

As I am “old school” I thought I would use one in our car on long trips loaded with music my husband and I want to listen to.

I am in the process of charging them……to see if they even work. I have checked one of them, and there are many songs loaded to it, but not our style of music.

So my question, is how do I restore the iPod to factory settings and then download our music from our iTunes Library? Do I have to do it via iTunes? I want to make sure that iTunes doesn’t “sync” the music on this iPod, ie downloaded it onto my library as I am not interested in it at all. Any Suggestions? Of course, I do not have a password for this used iPod.

iPod Classic

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 11:29 PM

There shouldn't be any need to Restore the iPod.

Simply connect it to your iTunes Library and set some Sync options. You will see a warning that media on the iPod will be deleted, simply accept this. The existing media will be removed and replaced by whatever you have told iTunes to add to the iPod from your Library.

The content of the iPod will not be added to your Library.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 11:29 PM in response to fotocano

There shouldn't be any need to Restore the iPod.

Simply connect it to your iTunes Library and set some Sync options. You will see a warning that media on the iPod will be deleted, simply accept this. The existing media will be removed and replaced by whatever you have told iTunes to add to the iPod from your Library.

The content of the iPod will not be added to your Library.

Resetting an old iPod and iPod shuffle to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.