How to turn off Screen Time Passcode recovery

I want to prevent someone with access to my iPhone and iPhone passcode from being able to change my Apple ID. To accomplish that, I am intentionally trying to set up a Screen Time Passcode without my Apple ID as a recovery option. However when I set up my Screen Time Passcode and don't enter my Apple ID as a recovery option, I still have the option to reset the passcode using my Apple ID. What's worse, is that the Screen Time Passcode recovery prompts give the ability to reset my Apple ID right there using just my passcode. How do I stop this?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 6:27 PM

same on IOS 17 latest PB on a 15 Pro max , no prompt to turn off passcode recovery.. I do not get why Apple didn't address this simple issue by jus forcing each users to make a Face ID unlock when we want to access or iCloud settings .. this is puzzling to me ...

8 replies

Apr 24, 2023 4:49 AM in response to turtleturtleturtle

The steps I found are:

If you want to turn off the Screen Time passcode recovery on your iPhone, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
  2. Scroll down and tap on "Screen Time".
  3. Tap on "Change Screen Time Passcode".
  4. Enter your current Screen Time passcode.
  5. Tap on "Turn Off Passcode Recovery".
  6. Enter your Apple ID password to confirm.

Once you've completed these steps, the passcode recovery feature will be turned off, and you will not be able to reset your Screen Time passcode using your Apple ID. Note that turning off passcode recovery will also delete any existing Screen Time passcode recovery data from Apple's servers.

If you want to turn on Screen Time passcode recovery again in the future, you can follow the same steps and toggle the "Turn On Passcode Recovery" option instead.

(*Note: it did allow me to "skip" giving my appleID and password - so make sure you don't skip that step)

How to turn off Screen Time Passcode recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.