Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Find My wrong location

Son's iphone often shows the wrong location. He has been in the same room but location shows him 7 miles away. When it shows the wrong location it's always the same incorrect location.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 7:49 PM

There could be several reasons why your son's iPhone is showing the wrong location. Here are a few possible explanations and potential solutions:

1. Weak GPS signal: The iPhone relies on GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular networks to determine its location. If the GPS signal is weak, it may rely more on Wi-Fi and cellular triangulation, which can be less accurate. Try going outdoors or near a window to get a better GPS signal.

2. Outdated location information: Sometimes, the iPhone might show the last known location instead of the current one. Close and restart the location-based apps or services to refresh the location data.

3. Incorrect Wi-Fi location data: The iPhone uses Wi-Fi network data to improve location accuracy. If the Wi-Fi network is associated with an incorrect location, the device might display the wrong location. You can report the issue to Apple, so the Wi-Fi location database can be updated.

4. Software issues: Make sure your son's iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Updating the software can fix potential bugs related to location services.

5. Location Services settings: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, and make sure Location Services is enabled. Also, check individual app permissions to ensure they have access to location data.

6. Reset Network Settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset Wi-Fi networks, cellular settings, and VPN settings. Keep in mind that you'll need to reconnect to Wi-Fi networks after performing this reset.

As always if nothing else works, a factory reset may be the only option, however I always recommend to chat with Apple support before preforming a full reset. If you do decide to factory reset, make sure that all your son's information is backed up.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 7:49 PM in response to PAbootlegger

There could be several reasons why your son's iPhone is showing the wrong location. Here are a few possible explanations and potential solutions:

1. Weak GPS signal: The iPhone relies on GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular networks to determine its location. If the GPS signal is weak, it may rely more on Wi-Fi and cellular triangulation, which can be less accurate. Try going outdoors or near a window to get a better GPS signal.

2. Outdated location information: Sometimes, the iPhone might show the last known location instead of the current one. Close and restart the location-based apps or services to refresh the location data.

3. Incorrect Wi-Fi location data: The iPhone uses Wi-Fi network data to improve location accuracy. If the Wi-Fi network is associated with an incorrect location, the device might display the wrong location. You can report the issue to Apple, so the Wi-Fi location database can be updated.

4. Software issues: Make sure your son's iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Updating the software can fix potential bugs related to location services.

5. Location Services settings: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, and make sure Location Services is enabled. Also, check individual app permissions to ensure they have access to location data.

6. Reset Network Settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset Wi-Fi networks, cellular settings, and VPN settings. Keep in mind that you'll need to reconnect to Wi-Fi networks after performing this reset.

As always if nothing else works, a factory reset may be the only option, however I always recommend to chat with Apple support before preforming a full reset. If you do decide to factory reset, make sure that all your son's information is backed up.

Apr 21, 2023 8:06 PM in response to PAbootlegger

PAbootlegger Said:

"Find My wrong location: Son's iphone often shows the wrong location. He has been in the same room but location shows him 7 miles away. When it shows the wrong location it's always the same incorrect location."

-------

Find My Location:

This is all based on an IP Address. So, it can take sometime for it all to catch up with itself. If you've just set up Find My, then give it a few days for it to show up where it should.

Find My wrong location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.