My Location on my ipad is wrong.

My Location is wrong on my ipad. When I go to Find Me, it show that my ipad is next door. How do I fix this?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 8:16 AM

Do you have a WiFi Only model of iPad, or WiFi+Cellular?

Only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GPS - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset. WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can accurately derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact precise location of your iPad - or to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate.

Even when using GPS, there are many factors that can impact precision. Accuracy to a specific address cannot be guaranteed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Izzy-belle

Do you have a WiFi Only model of iPad, or WiFi+Cellular?

Only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GPS - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset. WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can accurately derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact precise location of your iPad - or to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate.

Even when using GPS, there are many factors that can impact precision. Accuracy to a specific address cannot be guaranteed.

My Location on my ipad is wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.