Safari never loads OK on my MBA with Ventura 13.3.1

I have a 1 1/4 yr old MacBook Air w Ventura 13.3.1 Ever since it was new, I have problems properly loading Safari; have tried over the year 3-4 times to download updated versions and open them. But I always get delays with the system working (pinwheel circling) for over a minute.

Just a couple of times, Safari will open but it won't be functional. I use Firefox without problems; also using Chrome occasionally for work, but this was happening before I installed Chrome.

I don't know what to do. Just learned that "hide my email," which I really want to use for privacy, can only be used with Safari, so now I can't put this problem off anymore.

Would appreciate ideas and solutions. thanks in advance.

H

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 5:06 PM

Here are a couple of things to check:

As you know it is not normal to get the pinwheel when starting Safari and I'm confident you will find the solution to this problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 5:06 PM in response to NJpsychout

Here are a couple of things to check:

As you know it is not normal to get the pinwheel when starting Safari and I'm confident you will find the solution to this problem.

May 27, 2023 1:37 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Hi thanks for your help ideas, but i have a few questions:

1. re: "remove any cleaner/antivirus programs" I assume this is because they could interfere with loading of Safari. Does this mean I can never reload these apps after Safari is restored?
  2. I did the new Test user; and safari loaded fine in it.
  3. So I spoke to an Apple support guy last week but we went on so long I had to stop and return to my job... I understand that things can easily get messed up; but even though this is my 3rd Mac in 12 yrs or more, I am still not confident that I can handle the steps he recommended. So I avoid doing. Looking for a smarter way ... any ideas? thanks a lot

May 27, 2023 3:48 PM in response to NJpsychout

I suggest you search these forums for info on Cleaner or Antivirus. The app CleanMyMac is notorious for causing problems with your Mac like you have observed. This program is borderline Malware. Norton Antivirus will install a System Extension which is very hard to remove. Both categories of apps will make themselves seem relevant by informing you about a problem you do not have and usually their answer involves money in the form of a subscription or another app you should buy or download. The reason why Safari loaded correctly with the New User is that some Cleaner/Antivirus was installed and the new user gives you a fresh start. You should still resolve the problem by removing the problem app that caused it in the first place. Creating a New User is just a test to see if something had been installed that caused the problem.

The Mac has very good antivirus and receives constant security updates to keep it safe. As for a cleaner, there is really no need. Just manage the apps in your Desktop, Documents, and Download folders. Following safe internet practices is the key, such as:

• Be cautious of links in Mail. They can link to fake sites that look real.
  • Don't fall for the fake "Update Flash Player Needed"
  • Don't install Safari Extensions unless you are experienced in troubleshooting. Check at Safari > Settings > Extensions.
  • Limit any Notification that you allow in Safari. Check at Safari > Settings > Websites > Notification.
  • Limit any Pop-Ups that you allow in Safari. Check at Safari > Settings > Websites > Popup Windows.

If you have a question about a specific app, or need help uninstalling one, feel free to ask.

Safari never loads OK on my MBA with Ventura 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.