Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Photos won't import an edit from Desktop

I edited a photo in Photos, renamed it and exported it to the Desktop but when I try to import it into Photos again, it is invisible (if it is there).

I like to keep my edited, often smaller, photos rather than the originals. Here is the photo from my Desktop. Thank you for any insight you can give.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 5:06 AM

12 replies

Apr 23, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Ewan Lamont

Photos is a Photo Manger with built-in non-destructive processing. It is designed to treat the original image like a film shooter treats the negative: Preserve it at all costs. You don't want to do that, you want to destructively edit (reduce file size) and not preserve the original. Ergo, it's not the app for you.

The workflow you describe above:

I edited a photo in Photos, renamed it and exported it to the Desktop but when I try to import it into Photos again

apart from being tedious would actually end up using more space - with double the number of originals - and is unnecessary, as you can rename image sin Photos.

Apr 24, 2023 2:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

"Preserving at all costs" is a good choice for some "creative" work but not all. Every digital snap is not a treasure of creative art nor a documentary record to be saved for The Ages. Describing what I am doing as "destructive" is making a value judgement as though I am doing something bad. What is destructive about cropping the background from a photo, taken for eBay, of a knick-knack ?

What I have found destructive is, since 2000, changes to Apple's picture hosting services which have come with unclear instructions and have resulted in wholesale loss of photos I would have liked to keep. I seem to have hardly anything from between 2000 and 2007. I also blame Google and Webshots.

Apr 24, 2023 3:56 AM in response to Ewan Lamont

"Preserving at all costs" is a good choice for some "creative" work but not all.

Is a perfectly reasonable attitude. However, Photos is designed for people who feel differently from you, and that is their perfectly reasonable attitude. Further, given that most photography is Jpeg, it's a defence against generational degradation.

Describing what I am doing as "destructive" is making a value judgement as though I am doing something bad

No need to be defensive. This is a descriptive technical term not a moral judgement. It means that when you edit some of the data is destroyed - hence destructive. Non-destructive processing means that the editor can always revert to the status quo ante. Again, not a moral judgement, but a technical term.

There is nothing wrong with how you choose to manage and edit your images. My only point is that you would have a better experience - and less work - working with apps that work the way you prefer, rather than ones designed to work the opposite way. Using the appropriate app means you'll have a better experience. Yes you can write a novel in MS Excel, but you'll have a better experience using Word, no?

Apple did not have a picture hosting service between 2000 and 2007.

Photos won't import an edit from Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.