Problem adding recovery contact

Wife and I both are updated to 16.4.1 and are in a family group. We’re we’re both able to add our daughter (Not in our family group) as a recovery contact. Both of us have iMessage and FaceTime turned on.

i then tried to add my wife/selected her radio button & next/message screen/ sent message x4 /she does not receive.

We tried to add me as another recovery contact/hit my radio button & next/error “Cannot Add —ME—

You can only add contacts who are using iMessage.”

Toggled iMessage and FaceTime on both iPhones/turned both of them on again/toggled iMessage and FaceTime on again/exact same error.

please, any suggestions? thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 7:17 PM

Hello docjonnt,

Let's start out by taking a look at the Recovery Contact support article that includes requirements to set a person as your selected contact: Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support. Please review these requirements:

"Requirements for setting up a recovery contact

• All of your devices must be running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, or macOS Monterey or later. You might be prompted to update any devices not running the latest OS, or remove any devices that you aren't using.
      • You must be over the age of 13.
      • You need two-factor authentication turned on for your Apple ID."

If all of those requirements are met and you've reviewed the setup instructions but the issue persists, further assistance may be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with this issue, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support - Apple.

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 7:17 PM in response to docjonnt

Hello docjonnt,

Let's start out by taking a look at the Recovery Contact support article that includes requirements to set a person as your selected contact: Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support. Please review these requirements:

"Requirements for setting up a recovery contact

• All of your devices must be running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, or macOS Monterey or later. You might be prompted to update any devices not running the latest OS, or remove any devices that you aren't using.
      • You must be over the age of 13.
      • You need two-factor authentication turned on for your Apple ID."

If all of those requirements are met and you've reviewed the setup instructions but the issue persists, further assistance may be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with this issue, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support - Apple.

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities and have a wonderful day.

Apr 25, 2023 6:17 AM in response to Gena_D

Thanks, it works now.

I had performed all the steps as outlined in the support article, toggling off Imessage, FaceTime, rebooting both devices then toggling both back on, prior to posting on the forum. Did those steps, I believe, even twice prior.

Guess things had to percolate through. Other measures i’d considered were to sign both devices out and into their Apple accounts and to cancel the family status and then reinstate. The latter especially as, even this morning, my account showed my wife and sister as family members but my wife’s phone consistently did not show me or my sister as her family member. Only after successfully enrolling myself as her recovery contact did the family status show up correctly on her phone.

compounding variables! thanks for help!

J

Problem adding recovery contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.