Why does my MacBook have a white screen with a question mark file?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 6:30 AM

Click here and follow the instructions.

(238566)

2 replies

Apr 25, 2023 3:03 AM in response to Skyehadd

When you see a flashing folder with a question mark on your macOS computer, it typically means that your Mac is having trouble locating the system software. This could be due to a corrupted or missing startup disk, or a problem with your computer's internal hard drive.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this issue:

1. Restart your Mac: Sometimes a simple restart can fix the problem.

2. Check for external devices: Disconnect any external devices (such as USB drives or external hard drives) that might be interfering with the startup process.

3. Check the startup disk: Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and make sure your startup disk is selected.

4. Try Safe Mode: Restart your Mac and hold down the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will start your Mac in Safe Mode, which can help identify and fix startup problems.

5. Run Disk Utility: Restart your Mac and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. This will start your Mac in Recovery mode. From here, select Disk Utility and run First Aid to check for and repair any disk errors.

6. Reinstall macOS: If none of the above steps work, you may need to reinstall macOS. To do this, start your Mac in Recovery mode (as described above), select Reinstall macOS, and follow the prompts.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be a hardware problem and you should consider taking your Mac to an authorized service provider for further diagnosis and repair.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.