Apple pen and the last update

My Apple pen stopped working after this last operating system update. Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing trouble?

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 3:37 PM

Have you tried deleting the Apple Pencil from your Bluetooth devices - and then re-pairing the Pencil with the iPad?

Settings > Bluetooth > [My Devices] Apple Pencil - tap the blue “i” icon, then Forget This Device

After deleting the Pencil, force-restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Finally, re-pair the Apple Pencil:

Pair Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may now be irretrievably damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Gentle warming of the Pencil (such as placing on a hot water radiator), prior to attempting charging of the Pencil, can sometimes resurrect a dead Pencil battery.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 3:37 PM in response to Bsmith1952

Have you tried deleting the Apple Pencil from your Bluetooth devices - and then re-pairing the Pencil with the iPad?

Settings > Bluetooth > [My Devices] Apple Pencil - tap the blue “i” icon, then Forget This Device

After deleting the Pencil, force-restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Finally, re-pair the Apple Pencil:

Pair Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may now be irretrievably damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Gentle warming of the Pencil (such as placing on a hot water radiator), prior to attempting charging of the Pencil, can sometimes resurrect a dead Pencil battery.

Apr 24, 2023 3:33 AM in response to Bsmith1952

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 24, 2023 3:30 AM in response to LotusPilot

I have taken those steps. Following the forced restart, when I reposition the Apple pen in its connecting position the iPad ‘sees’ the pen, then tells you to ‘tap to connect’ which turns Bluetooth back on, but then it never recognizes the device. The little ‘circling’ symbol just keeps looking for other Bluetooth devices and never sees the pen. All of my trouble began after the last update. I feel that the two are somehow connected.

Apple pen and the last update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.