Migration Assistant stalls

I am attempting to use Migration assistant to move the contents of my iMac 21.5inch late 2009 running High Sierra 10.13.6 to a new iMac M1 2021 running Ventura 13.0.

I am using an ethernet cable to connect the two after wi-fi was very slow. Three attempts have stalled with the message Migration Assistant is attempting to re-establish contact. Is this due to corrupted files on my old iMac?

Is there a work around?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 4:58 AM

Two things to try.

On the older iMac running High Sierra,

1) Boot into safe mode which will run system diagnostics and repair things it finds wrong.

2) Run First Aid on the internal drive using Disk Utility.

Make sure you update the new iMac up to 13.3.1.

Then try running the migration assistant again.

2 replies

Apr 24, 2023 4:43 PM in response to Randall_2023

Thank you Randall_2023, I did the boot and ran First Aid on the High Sierra Mac.

I restarted and did a fresh Time Machine backup. I then tried to use Migration Assistant with a direct connection between macs, my 2009 started to load Migration Assistant and then stuck in a black screen.

I then tried to do the migration using my Time Capsule with a direct connection to the new iMac. It has been sitting on a screen for hours telling me it is "Looking for applications and documents to transfer..."

Now what?

Migration Assistant stalls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.