You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Scanner icc profile keeps reverting back to default icc (MacOS Ventura)

I've profiled my Canon Scanner and successfully associated the icc file to the device with ColorSync app:

It works fine and does its job, with the single exception being that each time I initiate a new scan (either thru Apple or thru Adobe apps for that matters) the profile reverts back to the default /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/sRGB Profile.icc

Any idea why? Many thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 5:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 2:02 AM

Ok, I think I found a geeky workaround that at least works for me. It involves overwriting the device defaults. Here's how.

1) locate the scanner device App under "/Library/Image Capture/" and open the package up to the Resources subfolder level (in my case it is inside "Canon IJScanner16f"), as shown below

2) within "Resources" locate the "DeviceInfo.plist" file and open a copy with TextEdit

3) within TextEdit look for the set of parameters of the appropriate device (in my case it is a Canon TS6000)

4) update the path of the default iccs so that it'll point to the desired icc files. In my case my profiled icc is just for color scans and is located in: "/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Canon TS6000_ScannerCal Profile.icc"

5) rename the original plist file as a backup and copy the updated one into the app package (see 2 above)

Thru this hack, each new scan will "revert back" to what the app "thinks" it is the default. ColorSynch utility will show the correct profile and it'll stick there, at least until the next driver update (which, good or bad, are quite rare)...

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2023 2:02 AM in response to sekok

Ok, I think I found a geeky workaround that at least works for me. It involves overwriting the device defaults. Here's how.

1) locate the scanner device App under "/Library/Image Capture/" and open the package up to the Resources subfolder level (in my case it is inside "Canon IJScanner16f"), as shown below

2) within "Resources" locate the "DeviceInfo.plist" file and open a copy with TextEdit

3) within TextEdit look for the set of parameters of the appropriate device (in my case it is a Canon TS6000)

4) update the path of the default iccs so that it'll point to the desired icc files. In my case my profiled icc is just for color scans and is located in: "/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Canon TS6000_ScannerCal Profile.icc"

5) rename the original plist file as a backup and copy the updated one into the app package (see 2 above)

Thru this hack, each new scan will "revert back" to what the app "thinks" it is the default. ColorSynch utility will show the correct profile and it'll stick there, at least until the next driver update (which, good or bad, are quite rare)...

Cheers!

Custom Scanner icc profile keeps reverting back to default icc (MacOS Ventura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.